Investments and Taxes Tax Tips

Subscribe and receive all Investments and Taxes
tax guides via RSS

Recent Articles

The Tax Benefits of Your 401(k) Plan
Your contributions to a qualified 401(k) may lower your tax bill and help you build financial security. Read more…

What Is IRS Form 5498?
If you made contributions to an IRA in the preceding tax year, you can expect to receive IRS Form 5498. Read more…

How to Report RSUs or Stock Grants on Your Tax Return
Restricted stock units (RSUs) and stock grants are often used by companies to reward their employees with an investment in the company rather than with cash. As the name implies, RSUs have rules as to when they can be sold. Stock grants often carry restrictions as well. How your stock grant is delivered to you, and whether or not it is vested, are the key factors when determining tax treatment. Read more…

What Is IRS Form 5498: IRA Contributions Information?
Form 5498: IRA Contributions Information reports your IRA contributions to the IRS. Your IRA trustee or issuer - not you - is required to file this form with the IRS by May 31. Read more…

Capital Gains and Losses
What is a capital asset, and how much tax do you have to pay when you sell one at a profit? Find out how to report your capital gains and losses on your tax return with these tips from TurboTax. Read more…

More Investments and Taxes Articles

Best Investments for Boosting Your Tax Refund 5 Things You Should Know about Capital Gains Tax What Is the Savers Credit? Video: What Is the Capital Gains Tax? Incentive Stock Options Are Losses on a Roth IRA Tax Deductible? What is IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchange Running for the (Tax) Shelter Guide to Short-term vs Long-term Capital Gains Taxes (Brokerage Accounts, etc.) What Are Deductible Investment Interest Expenses? What Is a Schedule B IRS Form? What is Form 4972: Tax on Lump-Sum Distributions What is Form 4952: Investment Interest Expense Deduction Non-Qualified Stock Options What Is IRS Form 1099-DIV: Dividends and Distributions? Employee Stock Purchase Plans What is Form 3468: Investment Credit What Is Form 6198: At-Risk Limitations What is IRS Form 8606: Nondeductible IRAs Deductions Allowed for Contributions to a Traditional IRA Are 501C3 Stock Investment Profits Tax-Exempt? Tax Tips for Preferred Stock What is a Schedule Q Form? Video: How to Use IRS Form 5498 on a Tax Return Tax Tips for Investors What is Form 4255: Recapture of Investment Credit? Now Everyone Can Convert to a Roth What is IRS Form 6252: Installment Sale Income Video: Taxes 101: Buying and Selling Stocks Video: Guide to Schedule B: Interest and Dividend Income How to Report Stock Options on Your Tax Return Tax Time Gains and Losses: Calculating Your Investment Portfolio Results Tax Deductions for Employer Owned Stocks (RSUs/Stock Options/ESPPs) What is Form 1099-B: Proceeds from Broker Transactions? Tax Tips for Real Estate Investment Trusts Video: When to Use IRS Form 8949 for Stock Sales Filing Tax Form 1099-INT: Interest Income How to Report Vested Benefits on Your Income Taxes What is Form 6781: Gains and Losses from Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles? Guide to Taxes on Dividends Guide to Schedule D: Capital Gains and Losses What is Form 8960: Net Investment Income Tax What is IRS Publication 590? What Is the IRS Form 8880? Reversing a Roth IRA Conversion Video: Taxes on Dividends Explained

TurboTax Blog »

Get tax tips and tricks, from quick fixes to long term strategies.

Ready to try TurboTax?

Start for Free