FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
New to TurboTax? Just curious?
Here are some helpful answers for you
We're here to help—from getting you
long after you file.
TurboTax offers a variety of ways to get your taxes done. From simple to complex taxes, filing is easy with America’s #1 tax prep provider. No matter what your tax situation, we’re committed to making sure that your taxes are done right and you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed:
- Hand off your taxes without ever leaving home with TurboTax Live Full Service: Let an expert do your taxes for you, start to finish. Get matched to a dedicated tax expert who will find every dollar you deserve, so you can get your taxes done right and off your mind. It starts with answering a few questions to create a personalized tax planner to help you collect and securely upload the right docs into your account. Then you’ll have a welcome call with a specialist who will help you finish uploading your tax docs and match you with a tax expert. You can either start your prep then, or schedule a call for a time that’s best for you to dig in. You can work with your expert in real time so you don’t have to wait and wonder when your taxes are done. Review everything with your expert before they sign and file for you
- Do your own taxes with TurboTax’s guided software: Just answer simple questions about your life, and we’ll fill out the right forms for you. We can even import your info from last year’s tax return to save you time. And if you get stuck or have questions along the way, you can choose to file with TurboTax Live Assisted and file confidently with an expert on your side. Our tax experts will answer your questions along the way and review your return to make sure it’s right before you file, so you get every dollar you deserve.
We have a product for your unique tax situation. We will help you select the right product for you from our Products and Pricing page. Plus, if you hit a point where another product might be better for you, we'll give you the opportunity to change. The information you've already entered will transfer automatically. No matter which TurboTax version you choose, rest assured—you'll be asked simple questions and will have guidance finding every tax deduction and credit you deserve, and your maximum refund, guaranteed.
The Tax Return Lifetime Guarantee is a combination of coverage for your tax return. We’ll guarantee your tax return for its full lifetime of 7 years with 100% accurate calculations, audit support, and your maximum refund. Whether you hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself, you can be confident that your tax return is covered.
Individual returns only. See terms of service for details.
There are two factors that determine pricing for TurboTax: The complexity of your tax return, and how you want to file your taxes (DIY, Live Assisted or Live Full Service). More complicated tax situations will cost more, and higher levels of tax expert service will cost more.
In addition to these factors, there are other services that you may choose to add (like Audit Defense) that may include additional fees.
We will always let you know how much you can expect to pay, and we will ask for your consent before any products or services are added. You will be able to review your order and charges before you choose to pay and file your taxes.
Can my fees/price change?
- We try to ensure you start with the right product to cover your tax situation, but it’s possible that we’ll uncover something along the way that requires you to upgrade to a different TurboTax product. For example, if you started in our Free Edition, but you later tell us you had investment sales (not covered in Free Edition), we’ll ask you to upgrade to cover your investment sales and ensure your taxes are accurately filed. We will be very clear when this happens and will ask for your consent to upgrade.
- Your price could also change if you decide to upgrade your service level and add expert help (for example), or if you choose to add other services like Audit Defense.
TurboTax Online offers the convenience of preparing and e-filing your tax return from virtually any computer or mobile device with Internet access. There's no software to install and nothing you'll need to save on your computer. We'll store all of your information on our secure servers. TurboTax Online offers federal and state e-filing. For most customers, we recommend TurboTax Online.
How much does TurboTax Online cost?
- The cost includes preparation and e-filing of one federal tax return
- Preparation of a state tax return is available for an additional fee (e-filing included)
- Pricing for our online products starts with Free Edition, for simple tax returns, and goes up based on your needs and the complexity of your income tax return.
- See current TurboTax Online pricing
TurboTax CD/Download lets you download and install TurboTax on your personal computer. You'll be able to work on your taxes, even if you're not connected to the Internet. Your information will be stored on your hard drive. TurboTax CD/Download includes the tax preparation fee for one state (state tax prep is an additional cost with TurboTax Basic and Business). It also allows you to prepare and print unlimited federal tax returns, and e-file up to five at no charge (additional fee per state e-file with TurboTax CD/Download).
How much does TurboTax CD/Download cost?
- The cost includes preparation and printing of unlimited federal tax returns
- E-filing of up to five federal tax returns
- Preparation for one state return
- Preparation for additional states and e-filing of your state returns is available for an additional fee
- Pricing for our CD/Download products starts with Basic, for simple tax returns, and goes up based on your needs and the complexity of your income tax return. See current TurboTax CD/Download pricing
Yes, TurboTax will help you file your state taxes.
Every state is different–each with their own tax laws. In fact, there are some states that don't levy a state income tax at all. But if you live in a state where you have to file a state tax return, TurboTax will let you know and help you get them done right.
After you finish your federal tax return, we'll ask if you want to prepare your state taxes. The good news is we'll save you a lot of time by taking the information you've already given us for your federal return and transfer them into the right state forms. There are usually some additional questions we need to ask to make sure you're getting every state credit and deduction available.
Because filing a state return is an entirely separate process from your federal taxes there may be an additional charges: See current TurboTax Online pricing
Yes. We offer free one-on-one audit guidance year-round from our experienced and knowledgeable tax staff. We'll let you know what to expect and how to prepare in the unlikely event you receive an audit letter from the IRS.
If you've already received a letter from the IRS for a return you filed with TurboTax, please review our Audit Support Guarantee for instructions on how to receive FREE step–by–step audit guidance and the option to connect with an expert.
We also offer full audit representation for an additional fee with TurboTax Audit Defense.
Form 1099-K is used to report online transactions made from a third-party payment processor (such as PayPal, Venmo, Square, or Stripe). It reports the gross amount of the transactions, but doesn't include any adjustments for credits, refunds, discounts, or fees.
While the form isn't new, the requirements for who receives a 1099-K were going to change this year (tax year 2022). The new reporting threshold was going to be over $600 in sales, regardless of the amount of transactions. However, the IRS announced a delay in the new reporting requirement, so the current threshold for this year remains in effect. The current threshold is more than $20,000 in processed funds and more than 200 transactions. The new reduced threshold (over $600 in processed funds and no minimum transactions) are applicable to this year for your 2023 taxes.
You could still get a 1099-K this year, even if you weren't expecting one. This could be for a couple of reasons:
- Some states may have separate thresholds for 1099-K reporting guidelines that third-party processors need to adhere to, even if they're below the federal limit.
- Though the IRS announced a delay in the reduced threshold reporting, some processors could still send out the forms at the lower amount.
The 1099-K provisions are a reporting requirement, not a tax law change. Form 1099-K is used to inform you about payments that have been processed so you can report your income correctly when you do your taxes. You need to report any taxable income you receive, even if you were below the current threshold for receiving a 1099-K.
To learn more about Form 1099-K, read our full article here.
Doing your taxes
TurboTax has Spanish-speaking experts who can help you.
- Get unlimited help from live bilingual experts as you do your taxes, plus a final review, backed by our 100% accuracy guarantee. Simply click the “Live Help” icon in the product, select “ayuda en español” and you’ll be connected to a bilingual tax expert. (Available In Deluxe, Premier and Self Employed, Not available in Free Edition)
- Or connect live with a dedicated bilingual expert matched to your unique situation. Your tax expert will take the time to get to know you, answer all your questions and do your taxes from start to finish. To speak with one, schedule a call with an expert, and if the expert who calls doesn't speak Spanish, ask for one, and they'll return your call as soon as possible.
- We also have a Spanish TurboTax support site which can answer many of your questions: Centro de soporte de TurboTax
It's easy to transfer last year's return, and depending on your situation, the transfer could be:
- Automatic—which will transfer all of your info without you having to do anything extra.
- From a PDF—which will transfer your personal info and your AGI to give you a head start.
- From a .tax file—which will transfer all of your info in a few short steps.
All you need to do is sign in with the same user ID you used last year and we'll transfer your information over. Can't remember last year's login? Try our account recovery tool.
If you used other tax software or CPA last year
Select the method you used to file last year and use the help links and instructions to transfer your PDF and to change your filing status (like single or married filing jointly), if different.
Keep in mind:
- The PDF needs to be your 1040 or 1040-SR
- The program accepts PDFs from a range of providers, such as HR Block, Credit Karma, TaxAct, ezTaxReturn, TaxSlayer, or Liberty Tax/Tax Brain
In certain situations, the program might not accept a PDF, such as when it's password-protected, when it's a scan of a hard copy rather than an electronic PDF, or in certain other cases. If this happens, we'll guide you through typing in your info.
Importing your W-2 info into TurboTax is easy. You can import your W-2 info directly from your employer.
To use the import feature, your employer needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner. We’ll determine this by the EIN (Employer Identification Number) you enter.
If TurboTax doesn't recognize your employer's EIN, you can snap a photo of your W-2 using the TurboTax mobile app. You can also manually enter the information from your W-2 into TurboTax.
To import your W-2:
If you're accessing TurboTax Online on your phone through a web browser instead of from a computer, you'll have the option to snap a photo without using the TurboTax mobile app.
To manually enter your W-2:
If you don't have your employer's EIN or prefer to skip the import options, you can manually enter the info from your W-2 instead. Follow Steps 1-3 above. At Step 4, if you can't import your W-2 or if you select Continue without entering an EIN, you'll come to Let's type in the rest of your W-2 info screen where you can manually enter your information.
You don't really need anything but your email address and a phone number to get started! Just answer a few simple questions and you're on your way.
We can even help get your W-2 and 1099 tax documents imported directly from more than a million participating employers and financial institutions.
Learn more about importing into TurboTax.
Depending on your situation, you'll also need additional documents like mortgage statements or other detailed financial information. But since we save your return as you go, you can finish anytime.
With TurboTax Live Full Service, a tax expert does your taxes for you, from start to finish. You will get matched with a tax expert who will make sure you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed. You can connect with your expert in real time and get your taxes done without all the waiting and wondering. You can do everything from home, on your time, and you can have the choice to work with the same dedicated expert every year, who knows you and your taxes.
With TurboTax Live Full Service, a tax expert does your taxes for you, from start to finish. You will connect with your expert in real time and get your taxes done without all the waiting and wondering.
With TurboTax Live Assisted, you can do your own taxes and get advice from tax experts who can help you finish your taxes error-free, review your return at the end, and ensure you’ll get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed.
You can speak to an expert via phone, chat or live on-screen through one-way video chat (they can’t see you). You can share your screen with your expert so they can guide you and answer your questions.
We do our best to match you with the right expert based on the nature of your concern and/or tax situation. All conversations with our experts are documented in our system, so if you come back with another question, your tax expert can see what was already discussed.
For a dedicated tax expert, choose TurboTax Live Full Service.
Customers who do their taxes with TurboTax Live Full Service or TurboTax Live Assisted will have access to tax experts year round for questions and tax advice, but you may not be connected with the specific tax expert who prepared your tax return.
Our software will allow you to securely upload your tax documents to our system. You can give permission through the software to share your tax documents with your tax expert. You may be able to import them directly from your employer or your financial institutions, or you can snap photos of the documents and upload them to TurboTax. We use the bank-level encryption technology to ensure your information is protected.
After you file
No one can get you your tax refund faster than TurboTax with e-file and direct deposit. Federal e-file is included with TurboTax at no extra charge.
If you've already e-filed, you can track your refund by signing in and going to Tax Home (if you're not already there).
- If you've submitted your return, you'll see pending, rejected, or accepted status.
- If you haven't submitted your return yet, you'll see Let's keep working on your taxes! and sections like Personal Info and Income & Expenses.
No problem. If you're getting a refund, but don't have bank account in which to direct-deposit it, you can:
- Open a new Credit Karma Money™ Spend account. You can open an account for free and opt to deposit your refund into your account. Once you file your taxes, you’ll receive your Credit Karma Visa® Debit Card by mail.
- Deposit to an existing prepaid card. You'll need the routing and account number, which you can get by calling their customer service number.
- Opt for a check refund. Please allow 4–6 weeks for delivery for IRS checks.
Note: Some state tax departments don't offer check refunds. We'll let you know what other options your state offers.