FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
New to TurboTax? Just curious? Here are some helpful answers
We're here to help—from getting you
long after you file.
TurboTax offers a variety of ways to get your taxes done. From simple to complex taxes, filing is easy with America’s #1 tax prep provider. No matter what your tax situation, we’re committed to making sure that your taxes are done right and you get every dollar you deserve, guaranteed:
- Have a tax expert do your taxes for you: With TurboTax Live Full Service, a local tax expert does your taxes for you, from start to finish. You will be matched with an expert who understands your unique situation and is focused on getting you the best outcome. Your dedicated expert will make sure your taxes are 100% accurate and you get your max refund, guaranteed. You can connect with your expert in real time and get your taxes done without all the waiting and wondering. You can do everything from home, on your time, and you can have the choice to work with the same dedicated expert every year, who knows you and your taxes.
- Do your own taxes: File your own taxes with confidence with America’s #1 tax prep provider. When you want to do your own taxes, it’s quick and easy with TurboTax. We'll get you your max refund with step-by-step guidance and 100% accurate calculations—guaranteed. It starts with easily uploading your information; jumpstart your taxes by using last year's return, and snap a photo of your W-2 and we'll auto-fill your information. Next we'll guide you through the rest of the process step-by-step. Finally, when it’s time to submit your completed return, CompleteCheck™ scans your return from beginning to end to make sure there are no mistakes. You only pay when you are 100% satisfied and ready to file.
- And if you get stuck or have questions along the way, you can choose to upgrade to TurboTax Live Assisted and get unlimited live expert assistance and an expert final review. Our tax experts will answer your questions and provide advice along the way to help you avoid errors and better understand your taxes. Our experts can also review your return before you file, so you can be 100% confident your return is done right and you get every dollar you deserve.
We have a product for your unique tax situation. We will help you select the right product for you from our Pricing page. Plus, if you hit a point where another product might be better for you, we'll give you the opportunity to change. The information you've already entered will transfer automatically. No matter which TurboTax version you choose, rest assured—you'll be asked simple questions and will have guidance finding every tax deduction and credit you deserve, and we guarantee 100% accurate calculations and your maximum refund.
TurboTax Online offers the convenience of preparing and e-filing your tax return from virtually any computer or mobile device with Internet access. There's no software to install and nothing you'll need to save on your computer. We'll store all of your information on our secure servers. TurboTax Online offers federal and state e-filing. For most customers, we recommend TurboTax Online.
How much does TurboTax Online cost? Pricing varies based on your tax complexity. For the latest pricing, visit the current TurboTax Online pricing page.
TurboTax Desktop lets you download and install TurboTax software on your personal computer. You'll be able to work on your taxes, even if you're not connected to the Internet. Your information will be stored on your personal hard drive. It also allows you to prepare and print unlimited federal tax returns, and e-file up to five at no charge (additional fee per state e-file with TurboTax Desktop).
How much does TurboTax Desktop cost? For the latest pricing, visit the current TurboTax Desktop pricing page.
No matter which TurboTax version you choose, rest assured—you'll get simple questions and guidance to help you find every tax deduction and credit you deserve, plus your maximum refund is guaranteed.
If you receive an audit letter based on your 2022 TurboTax individual, TurboTax Live Assisted Business, or TurboTax Full Service Business return, we will provide one-on-one question-and-answer support with a tax professional, if requested through our Audit Support Center, for audited returns filed with these products for the current tax year (2022) and, for individual, nonbusiness returns, for the past two tax years. This guarantee does not apply to TurboTax Business desktop software.
Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions is an IRS form used to report credit/debit card transactions and third party network payments.
The 1099-K is not a new form, but reporting thresholds have changed and been delayed. For tax years prior to 2023, the threshold for third-party network transaction payments was more than $20,000 and more than 200 transactions.
The American Rescue Plan of 2021 changed third party payment processors reporting requirements to payments processed exceeding $600, which is down considerably from the original more than 200 transactions per year and exceeding an aggregate amount of $20,000 reporting requirement.
On December 23, 2022 the IRS announced a delay in the lower reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations for tax year 2022 (taxes filed in 2023) and again on November 21, 2023 for tax year 2023, so people who have payments processed through third party platforms like Venmo and PayPal may still only receive a 1099-K form reporting their processed payments if they exceed $20,000 and more than 200 transactions.
If you are a creator, influencer, rideshare driver, work a side gig or other self-employed business and you accept credit, debit, or prepaid cards you may receive Form 1099-K, reporting self-employment payments processed by the third party if you have aggregate payments exceeding $20,000 and more than 200 transactions.
If you are an online seller selling on platforms like Ebay, Airbnb, Etsy, and VRBO with sales at the aggregate of more than $20,000 and more than 200 transactions you could also receive a form 1099-K even if you do occasional sales.
Doing your taxes
TurboTax is now available in Spanish and we also have bilingual experts who can help you or file your taxes for you.
- You can now file your federal and state taxes in Spanish with TurboTax en español. If you wish to switch your language to Spanish you can select “Cambiar a español” on the lower left hand side of your screen.
- Access our new Spanish digital chat “Turbo Tax Assistant” in TurboTax en español.
- Simply click the “Help” icon on the top right side in the product to access our Spanish digital assistant. If our Spanish digital assistant can't resolve your question, then select “Ayuda en español” and you'll be connected to one of our bilingual experts.
- With TurboTax Live, get unlimited help from live bilingual experts as you do your taxes, plus a final review, backed by our 100% accuracy guarantee.
- With TurboTax Full Service you can connect live with a dedicated bilingual expert matched to your unique situation. Your tax expert will take the time to get to know you, answer all your questions and do your taxes from start to finish. To speak with one, schedule a call with an expert, and if the expert who calls doesn't speak Spanish, ask for one, and they'll return your call as soon as possible.
- We also have a Spanish TurboTax support site and Spanish tax articles which can answer many of your questions.
It's easy to transfer last year's return, and depending on your situation, the transfer could be:
- Automatic—which will transfer all of your info without you having to do anything extra.
- From a PDF—which will transfer your personal info and your AGI to give you a head start.
- From a .tax file—which will transfer all of your info in a few short steps.
- Sign in with the same user ID you used last year and we'll transfer your information over.
- Can't remember last year's info? Try our account recovery tool.
Select the method you used to file last year and use the help links and instructions to transfer your PDF and to change your filing status (like single or married filing jointly), if different.
Keep in mind:
- The PDF needs to be your 1040 or 1040-SR
- The program accepts PDFs from a range of providers, such as HR Block, Credit Karma, TaxAct, ezTaxReturn, TaxSlayer, or Liberty Tax/Tax Brain
In certain situations, the program might not accept a PDF, such as when it's password-protected, when it's a scan of a hard copy rather than an electronic PDF, or in certain other cases. If this happens, we'll guide you through typing in your info.
You can enter your W-2 forms into TurboTax both manually and via automatic import from over a million employers.
Manual Process instructions:
- Sign in and continue your return
- Select the magnifying glass, search for W-2 and select the Jump to link
- Select Work on my W-2 and Continue
- If you've already entered a W-2 or need to add another one, select Add another W-2
- Enter your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from Box b on your W-2
- If your W-2 can be imported, you'll come to the Great news! We can automatically import your W-2 info screen. Answer the questions to complete your import
- If TurboTax doesn't recognize your EIN you can use the TurboTax mobile app to snap a photo of your W-2, upload it from your computer, or fill it in yourself
- Open your return
- Select Search, search for W-2, and select the Jump to link
- (On Mac: Select the Federal Taxes tab, then select Wages & Income)
- On the Let's get your W-2 info screen, select Work on my W-2 and Continue
- If you've already entered a W-2 or need to add another, select Add another W-2
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, and select Continue
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we'll say Great News! We Can Enter Your W-2 for You and lead you through the steps to import your W-2
- If TurboTax doesn't recognize your EIN you can fill in your W-2 info yourself.
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner
- Your W-2 must be available for import (most are ready by February 1)
- We need the Box 1 amount from your W-2 or the year-to-date (YTD) gross income from your year-end pay stub
- In some cases, we may need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires it
With TurboTax Live Full Service, a local tax expert does your taxes for you, from start to finish. You will be matched with an expert who understands your unique situation and is focused on getting you the best outcome. Your dedicated expert will make sure your taxes are 100% accurate and you get your max refund, guaranteed.
You can connect with your expert in real time and get your taxes done without all the waiting and wondering. You can do everything from home, on your time, and you can have the choice to work with the same dedicated expert every year, who knows you and your taxes.
With Live Full Service, you’re matched to a dedicated tax expert who will do your taxes, start to finish, and review them with you before filing.
With Live Assisted, a team of tax experts is available to provide you with unlimited answers and advice as you do your taxes, and can review your return before you file.
You can speak to an expert via phone, chat or live on-screen through one-way video chat (they can’t see you). You can share your screen with your expert so they can guide you and answer your questions.
We do our best to match you with the right expert based on the nature of your concern and/or tax situation. All conversations with our experts are documented in our system, so if you come back with another question, your tax expert can see what was already discussed.
For a dedicated tax expert matched to your unique situation, choose TurboTax Live Full Service.
Customers who do their taxes with TurboTax Live Full Service or TurboTax Live Assisted will have access to tax experts year round for questions and tax advice, but you may not be connected with the specific tax expert who prepared your tax return.
Our software allows you to securely upload your tax documents to our system so they’re available to your tax expert. You may be able to import them directly from your employer or your financial institutions, or you can snap photos of the documents and upload them to TurboTax. We use bank-level encryption technology to ensure your information is protected.
After you file
To check your e-file status, sign in to TurboTax, and go to Tax Home (if you're not already there).
- If you've submitted your return, you'll see a pending, rejected, or accepted status.
- If you haven't submitted your return yet, you'll see Let's keep working on your taxes! and sections like Personal Info and Income & Expenses.
No problem. If you're getting a refund, but don't have bank account in which to direct-deposit it, you can:
- Open a new Credit Karma Money™ Spend account. You can open an account for free and opt to deposit your refund into your account. Once you file your taxes, you’ll receive your Credit Karma Visa® Debit Card by mail.
- Deposit to an existing prepaid card. You'll need the routing and account number, which you can get by calling their customer service number.
- Opt for a check refund. Please allow 4–6 weeks for delivery for IRS checks.
- Note: Some state tax departments don't offer check refunds. We'll let you know what other options your state offers.