Family Tax Tips

Subscribe and receive all Family
tax guides via RSS

Recent Articles

Navigating Family Trusts and Taxes
Family trusts offer a solution for managing assets such as a home or an investment portfolio and there are certain tax implications involved that taxpayers should know about. Read more…

New Addition: Adoption Tax Credits
Learn how the adoption tax credit works and how you can claim it to get help balancing your finances when you welcome a new family member. Read more…

What is the Generation-Skipping Tax?
If you're a part of a family trust, the generation-skipping tax may be a financial option to consider. Read more…

Video: What Are Dependents?
If you financially support a child, a parent, a relative or even a friend, you may be able to claim them as a dependent on your taxes and take an exemption. Who qualifies as a dependent? Learn more about tax dependent qualifications in this TurboTax tax tip video. Read more…

Video: Tax Filing Requirements for Children
Depending on how much money they made during the year, your children may very well have to file for taxes. Learn about tax filing requirements for children with help from TurboTax in this video on tax tips. Read more…

More Family Articles

What is IRS Form 8615: Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income What is the Additional Child Tax Credit? Child Tax Credit What Is the IRS Form 8812? Death in the Family Dependent Tax Deduction: Tax Exemptions and Deductions for Families Tax Tips for Single Dads Tax Deductible Pregnancy Medical Expenses Sending Kids to College 8 Money-Saving Tax Tips for Parents Steps to Claiming an Elderly Parent as a Dependent 2020 Child Tax Credit Calculator and Top 7 Requirements What is Form 8332: Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent How to Itemize Taxes When Claiming Dependents Video: How to Prove Head of Household for the IRS Video: How to File a Tax Return with Adult Dependents The Dirty Dozen: 12 Tricky Tax Dependent Dilemmas At What Income Does a Minor Have to File an Income Tax Return? What Is a Personal Representative for Taxes? Cash for College: Tax-Free 529 Plans Should I Include a Dependent's Income on My Tax Return? Video: What Is a 529 Plan Contribution? Information on 529 Plans Video: What is IRS Form 2441? Child and Dependent Care Expenses What Happens When Both Parents Claim a Child on a Tax Return? Tax Filing Requirements for Children Video: Tax Tips for a New Baby What Is IRS Form 8839: Qualified Adoption Expenses? Video: Child Care Tax Credits 5 Tax Tips for Single Moms Deducting Summer Camps and Daycare with the Child and Dependent Care Credit Video: Tax Credits When Adopting a Child Tax Deductions for Funeral Expenses The Ins and Outs of the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit Birth of a Child Guide to Filing Taxes as Head of Household Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return Video: What's the Child Tax Credit—How Do I Qualify? Filing Tax Form 2441: Child and Dependent Care Expenses 5 Tax Tips for Single Parents What Are Dependents? Tax Tips When Sending Kids to Private or Public Schools Can I Claim a Boyfriend/Girlfriend as a Dependent on Income Taxes? Sweet Child of Mine: Tax Credits for Parents Claiming a Non-Citizen Spouse and Children on Your Taxes How Do I Claim Someone as a Dependent on Taxes? Video: Who You Can Claim as a Dependent on Your Tax Return Video: Claiming Dependents on Your 2010 Tax Return Video: Tax Credits for Disabled Dependents Claiming a Domestic Partner as a Dependent

TurboTax Blog »

Get tax tips and tricks, from quick fixes to long term strategies.

Ready to try TurboTax?

Start for Free