Unemployment Tax Tips

Subscribe and receive all Unemployment
tax guides via RSS

Recent Articles

Stimulus 2020: Unemployment Insurance for Self-Employed Individuals
Due to the recent coronavirus pandemic, many businesses and individuals are facing challenging times — including those that are self-employed. The government has issued unemployment insurance for self-employed individuals to help them manage their finances. Read more…

10 Tax Tips for the Suddenly Unemployed
If you are facing unexpected unemployment, you may be eligible for a variety of income tax benefits. Losing a job is always hard, but these tax tips should help you maximize your tax refund. Read more…

Tax Tips for Job Hunters
Looking for a new job can feel like a job in itself. It takes a lot of time and energy, but there are certain tax implications you should be aware of as you conduct your search. Here are six tax tips to keep in mind while you’re looking for that new job. Read more…

Video: Unemployment and Taxes Explained
If you experience a period of unemployment or are currently unable to find work, the last thing you're probably thinking about is your taxes. But since you still need to file a tax return, you may be interested in some of the tax benefits available to you. Watch this video to learn more about how being on unemployment may affect your taxes. Read more…

Furlough vs. Layoff: What's the Difference for Your Taxes?
When a company chooses to reduce its workforce, it may approach that reduction in a few different ways. How a company makes these staffing changes could result in different implications for you and your taxes. Here's what you should know about the differences between a furlough and a layoff. Read more…

More Unemployment Articles

Do I Qualify for Earned Income Credit While on Unemployment? Video: Tax Forms for Reporting Unemployment Video: First Time Filing for Unemployment 2009 Stimulus: Unemployment Benefits Get Big Boost Losing a Job Health Insurance Assistance for the Unemployed Video: Do I File My Unemployment as Wages on My Tax Return? What Is a 1099-G Tax Form? Video: Tax Deductions for Job Hunters Guide to Unemployment and Taxes

TurboTax Blog »

Get tax tips and tricks, from quick fixes to long term strategies.

Ready to try TurboTax?

Start for Free