Products & Pricing
Online products
CD/download products
Mobile products
Self-employment taxes
Small business taxes
Compare products
TurboTax Advantage
Previous years' products
File an IRS extension
Access my downloads
Tools & Tips
Tax calculators
Tax tips & videos
Track my donations
TurboTax blog
After You File
Track my refund
Check my e-file status
Print my return
Amend my return
Access prior year returns
Go to Turbo
TurboTax Support
Frequently Asked Questions
Expert Services
How TurboTax works
Tax Reform

Starting a Business

Updated for Tax Year 2017


When you start your own business, knowing the income tax implications of your decisions can save you money and headaches. Learn about paying estimated income taxes, keeping track of expenses and how to take a tax deduction when you use your car for business.

From lemonade stand to estimated taxes

Remember that lemonade stand you started when you were a kid? Things were easier then. Now, if you’re starting a business, you have to remember to give Uncle Sam his due. We’ve got advice for you on:

  • Which accounting method to choose
  • How to pay estimated taxes
  • Keeping track of expenses

When you start a small business, you put all your time and energy into making sure it succeeds; taxes may be the farthest thing from your mind. But there are plenty of tax considerations that go along with your new venture.

We've made a list of some important tax-related issues you need to be aware of as you're getting started and going through your first year.

Accounting methods

Businesses must figure their taxable income and file a return for a tax year or annual accounting period. You'll need to select an accounting method, which is a set of rules that determines when and how you report your business income and expenses:

Cash: When you use the cash method of accounting, you count income or expenses at the time you actually receive a payment or pay a bill. A cash-basis report shows income only if you have received it, and expenses only if you have paid them. For example, if you bill for services you provide in mid-December 2016 but don't receive the check until mid-January 2017, you would include the payment in your 2017 income. The cash method is used by most sole proprietors and other self-employed individuals with no inventory.

Accrual: Under the accrual method, you record income when you earn it and expenses when you incur them. The point where you enter a transaction on your books and when you actually pay or receive cash may be two separate events. Following the example above, a taxpayer who uses the accrual method and provides services in December 2016 would include them in income for 2016, regardless of when they are actually paid for the services.

Employer ID number

When you start out, you'll need to apply to the IRS for an Employer Identification Number or EIN, which must be on your return and other documents you file with the IRS. (If you're a sole proprietor with no employees or you have a single-owner Limited Liability Company, you can use your Social Security number instead.) To get an EIN, you can apply with the IRS online or call the IRS at (800) 829-4933.

Estimated tax payments

As a small business owner, you’ll need to make estimated tax payments during the year to cover your federal income tax liability, unless you expect to owe less than $1,000. Generally, estimated taxes are due in four quarterly installments.

For the 2017 tax year, the four estimated tax payment dates are: April 15, June 15, September 15 of 2017 and January 15, 2018.

If you’re mailing payments to the IRS, use Form 1040-ES. Or you can pay electronically by enrolling in the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). When you start up your business and request an employer identification number from the IRS (see below under “Employment Taxes”), the IRS automatically enrolls you in EFTPS.

Employment taxes

If you have employees, you must pay the employer share of their Social Security and Medicare taxes, and withhold their share of those taxes from their wages. You must pay 7.65% and your employee must pay 7.65% on the first $127,200 of the worker's wages in 2017.

For income above that level, you and your employee must keep paying only the Medicare portion of the tax, which is 1.45% for each of you. The taxes must be deposited with the IRS periodically; how often you send in these funds depends on how large the deposits are. You can deduct the employer share of these employment taxes as a business expense on Schedule C.

What about your own employment tax liability?

If you're a sole proprietor, partner, independent contractor or are otherwise self-employed, you must pay the full freight—15.3% in 2017 on the first $127,200 of your net earnings from self-employment, which you calculate on Schedule C. For net earnings above that amount, you'll still owe Medicare taxes of 2.9%. You can deduct half of your self-employment tax when figuring Adjusted Gross Income on your 1040. That's not as good as paying half the liability—as employees do—but it's better than nothing.

Employee or Independent Contractor?

It's important to distinguish between workers you hire as employees and contract labor, because your tax liability and reporting are different depending on which type of worker you use. You don't pay or withhold employment tax for independent contractors as you would your employees. At year-end, you'll report payroll information for employees using Forms W-2 and W-3, while you'll use Form 1099-MISC for anyone who is a contractor.

The IRS monitors employers to make sure they aren't avoiding employment tax liability by classifying workers as contractors when they really are employees. The IRS looks to see how much control the employer has over the details of a worker's performance and whether the employer also exerts financial control. If, for example, you pay your workers an hourly wage, reimburse all their work-related expenses, dictate where they do their work, train them and provide them with equipment, you'll have a hard time making a case for classifying them as contractors.

For more information, review IRS Publication 15-A: Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide.

Buying assets

Here's the good news about business taxation: In general, you can deduct the costs of running your business in the same year that you pay them. The tax treatment is different for assets you buy that are expected to last more than one year. You generally must depreciate these assets, or spread their cost over several years.

But the IRS has a special rule known as the Section 179 deduction that is designed to allow small businesses to deduct the full cost of assets in the year they are purchased. This is also known as "expensing," because you get to deduct the cost of new assets just as you do current expenses. Property that is eligible for this special first-year expensing includes machinery, tools, fixtures, computers, software and vehicles used in your business.

In 2017, a business can expense up to $510,000 of the value of section 179 assets during the tax year. The amount you can expense is reduced if you purchase more than $2,030,000 in eligible property during the year.

Bonus Depreciation

Bonus depreciation has been changed for qualified assets acquired and placed in service after September 27, 2017. The old rules of 50% bonus depreciation still apply for qualified assets acquired before September 28, 2017. These assets had to be purchased new, not used. The new rules allow for 100% bonus "expensing" of assets that are new or used. The percentage of bonus depreciation phases down in 2023 to 80%, 2024 to 60%, 2025 to 40%, and 2026 to 20%. After 2026 there is no further bonus depreciation. This bonus "expensing" should not be confused with expensing under Code Section 179 which has entirely separate rules, see above.

The 100% expensing is also available for certain productions (qualified film, television, and live staged performances) and certain fruit or nuts planted or grafted after September 27, 2017.

50% bonus first year depreciation can be elected over the 100% expensing for the first tax year ending after September 27, 2017.

Keeping track of expenses

Don't lose those receipts!

To make sure you get all the tax deductions you're entitled to, you need to maintain good records of your company's expenses. And because you can't deduct any personal expenses, it's important to keep them separate. For example, you may want to have a bank account just for your business and a credit card for business purchases. If you incur an expense that combines personal and business use, you must divide up the total cost and take the deduction only for the business use.

Two types of business expenses that require special record keeping are:

Business Meals and Entertainment

You must identify the business purpose of any meal or entertainment expense for it to be deductible. Don't forget that 50% of the total expense is deductible. Also keep in mind:

  • A deductible meal is usually with a business contact.
  • An entertainment event usually follows a business meeting.
  • Write on your receipts with whom you met, as well as the business purpose of the meeting. Save these receipts with the rest of your tax records.

Autos Used in Your Business

When figuring your automobile expenses, you can choose between taking the standard mileage rate or deducting your actual expenses. The standard mileage rate for 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile.. If you deduct actual expenses, allowable costs include what you spend on such items as gas, oil changes, tires, repairs, preventive maintenance, insurance and registration fees plus depreciation (a non-cash expense). In either case, add what you pay for parking and tolls.

Using the standard mileage rate is much easier, but depending on the type of vehicle you drive and the number of expenses you have, recording your actual expenses may be a better deal. If you’re self-employed you can also deduct the business part of interest on your car loan on Schedule C, along with the business portion of personal property taxes on your vehicle.

Home offices for sole proprietors

If you are running your business out of your home, you may qualify for the home office deduction. To get this deduction, the IRS requires that you use your home office "exclusively and regularly" for your business. It has to be a separate area in your home where you don't mix business with other activities. So keep the kids and the TV out of your workplace. If you want to take the deduction, your playroom can't double as the office.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • You can take the home office deduction, even if you perform your main work elsewhere, if you use the home office for all your administrative and management activities, including billing customers, ordering supplies and setting appointments. For example, if you're an electrician and perform your work in other people's homes, doing all your paperwork in your home office can qualify you for the home office deduction.
  • You can claim the deduction if you store inventory or product samples there, or if you operate a day care facility.
  • The size of your deduction depends on the amount of your home that is used for business. If your total business expenses exceed gross income from business use of your home, your deduction will be limited.

For more information, see IRS Publication 587: Business Use of Your Home and Publication 334: Tax Guide for Small Businesses.

TurboTax for Home & Business can guide you in preparing taxes for your new business.

A TurboTax solution for every situation

See which tax prep product is right for you

Looking for more information?

The above article is intended to provide generalized financial information designed to educate a broad segment of the public; it does not give personalized tax, investment, legal, or other business and professional advice. Before taking any action, you should always seek the assistance of a professional who knows your particular situation for advice on taxes, your investments, the law, or any other business and professional matters that affect you and/or your business.

Security is built into everything we do
* Important Offer Details and Disclosures

  • Try for Free/Pay When You File: TurboTax online and mobile pricing is based on your tax situation and varies by product. Absolute Zero $0 federal (1040EZ/1040A) + $0 state offer only available with TurboTax Federal Free Edition; offer may change or end at any time without notice. Actual prices are determined at the time of print or e-file and are subject to change without notice. Savings and price comparisons based on anticipated price increase expected in March. Special discount offers may not be valid for mobile in-app purchases.
  • QuickBooks Self-Employed Offer with TurboTax Self-Employed: File your 2016 TurboTax Self-Employed return between 4/19/17 and 10/16/17 to receive your complimentary subscription to QuickBooks Self-Employed until 10/31/18. Activation by 12/31/17 required. Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed via mobile app or at; e-mail address used for activation and sign-in. Offer valid only for new QuickBooks Self-Employed customers. See for price comparison.
    • When you use TurboTax Self-Employed to file your 2017 taxes, you will have the option to renew your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription. If you do not purchase TurboTax Self-Employed by 10/15/18, you will have the option of renewing your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription by 10/31/18 for another year at the then-current annual subscription rate. You may cancel your subscription at any time from within the QuickBooks Self-Employed billing section.
  • Pays for itself (TurboTax Self-Employed): Estimates based on deductible business expenses calculated at the self-employment tax income rate (15.3%) for tax year 2016. Actual results will vary based on your tax situation.
  • Anytime, anywhere: Internet access required; standard message and data rates apply to download and use mobile app.
  • Fastest refund possible: Fastest tax refund with e-file and direct deposit; tax refund time frames will vary.
  • Pay for TurboTax out of your federal refund: $34.99 Refund Processing Service fee applies to this payment method. Prices are subject to change without notice.
  • TurboTax Expert Help, Tax Advice and SmartLook: Included with Deluxe, Premier and Self-Employed (via phone or on-screen); not included with Federal Free Edition (but available for purchase with the Plus bundle). SmartLook on-screen help is available on a PC, laptop or the TurboTax mobile app. TurboTax experts provide general advice, customer service and product help; tax advice provided only by credentialed CPAs, enrolled agents and tax attorneys. Feature availability varies by device. State tax advice is free. Service, area of expertise, experience levels, hours of operation and availability vary, and are subject to restriction and change without notice.
  • Tax Return Access, My Docs and My Analysis & Advice features: Access to all tax-related documents we have on file for you is available until you file your 2017 tax return or through 10/31/2018, whichever comes first. Terms and conditions may vary and are subject to change without notice.
  • #1 best-selling tax software: Based on aggregated sales data for all tax year 2015 TurboTax products.
  • Most Popular: TurboTax Deluxe is our most popular product among TurboTax Online users with more complex tax situations.
  • CompleteCheck: Covered under the TurboTax accurate calculations and maximum refund guarantees.
  • #1 rated online tax prep provider: Based on independent comparison of the best online tax software by March 13, 2017.

  • TurboTax CD/Download products: Price includes tax preparation and printing of federal tax returns and free federal e-file of up to 5 federal tax returns. Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns. E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. Savings and price comparison based on anticipated price increase expected in March. Prices subject to change without notice.
  • Fastest refund possible: Fastest tax refund with e-file and direct deposit; tax refund time frames will vary.
  • Pay for TurboTax out of your federal refund: $34.99 Refund Processing Service fee applies to this payment method. Prices are subject to change without notice. This benefit is available with TurboTax Federal products except TurboTax Business.
  • About our TurboTax Product Experts: Customer service and product support vary by time of year.
  • About our credentialed tax experts: Live tax advice via phone is included with Premier and Home & Business; fees apply for Basic and Deluxe customers. State tax advice is free. Service, experience levels, hours of operation and availability vary, and are subject to restriction and change without notice. Not available for TurboTax Business customers.
  • #1 best-selling tax software: Based on aggregated sales data for all tax year 2015 TurboTax products.
  • Data Import: Imports financial data from participating companies. Quicken and QuickBooks import not available with TurboTax installed on a Mac. Imports from Quicken (2015 and higher) and QuickBooks Desktop (2011 and higher); both Windows only. Quicken import not available for TurboTax Business. Quicken products provided by Quicken Inc., Quicken import subject to change.
Online Software Products
CD/Download Products
Mobile Tax Apps
Help and Support
Tax Tools and Tips
More Products from Intuit