• Get the latest on monthly child tax credit payments here.

  1. TurboTax /
  2. Tax Calculators & Tips /
  3. Tax Tips Guides & Videos /
  4. IRS Tax Forms /
  5. Video: When to Use Tax Form 1040EZ

Video: When to Use Tax Form 1040EZ

Updated for Tax Year 2017 / August 12, 2021 01:59 PM


Wanting to file your return quickly and easily? The 1040EZ is one of three standard forms that can allow you to file your taxes quickly. Watch this video to find out more about filing your 1040EZ.

For tax years beginning 2018, the 1040A and EZ forms are no longer available. They have been replaced with new 1040 and 1040-SR forms. For those who are filing prior year returns, you can continue to use form 1040A or EZ for tax years through 2017.


Video transcript:

Hello, I'm Jill from TurboTax with some important information for all taxpayers.

If you are a citizen or resident of the United States, the Internal Revenue Service allows you to prepare your tax return using one of three standard forms. Of the three options, the one-page Form 1040EZ requires the least amount of information, allowing you to complete it fairly quickly.

But before you start filling out a 1040EZ, you need to evaluate whether you satisfy four important eligibility criteria.

First, your taxable income must be less than $100,000. Even if you file a joint return with your spouse, your combined income must still be under the $100,000 threshold in order to file a 1040EZ form.

Second, it matters where your income comes from. To use a 1040EZ, the taxable income you report can only come from employment wages, tips, taxable scholarships and grants, state unemployment compensation, Alaska Permanent Fund dividends and a maximum of $1,500 in taxable interest. Otherwise, you must prepare your tax return on Form 1040, or if you're eligible, on Form 1040A.

To satisfy the third requirement, you must also be eligible to file your tax return using the married filing jointly or single filing status. For example, if you are married but choose to file a separate tax return from your spouse, your only filing status options are married filing separately, and in some cases, head of household. Therefore, you cannot use the 1040EZ to file your tax return.

Lastly, taxpayers who are 65 and older or blind are also ineligible to use the 1040EZ form.

If you satisfy these eligibility requirements, it’s important that you consider some of the disadvantages of filing your taxes on the 1040EZ, all of which can result in paying more income tax than you need to.

For example, the 1040EZ does not allow you to claim any deductions other than the standard deduction and personal exemptions, nor does it allow you to claim any credits other than the earned income tax credit. This means that if you are eligible for a lot of deductions and credits on your taxes, like a mortgage deduction or education credits, for example, you'll be leaving money on the table if you file with a 1040EZ.

Remember, the 1040EZ may save you time when preparing your tax return, but if you are eligible for other tax credits and deductions that can reduce your tax bill, it may be beneficial to file your return on the 1040A or 1040 form instead.

Remember, with TurboTax, we'll ask you simple questions about your life and help you fill out all the right tax forms. Whether you have a simple or complex tax situation, we've got you covered. Feel confident doing your own taxes.


All you need to know is yourself

Just answer simple questions about your life, and TurboTax Free Edition will take care of the rest.

For Simple Tax Returns Only

$0 Fed. $0 State. $0 To File.*
File for $0

Looking for more information?

Get more with these free tax calculators and
money-finding tools