The IRS offers certain kinds of tax relief aimed at people who are or have become disabled. Get IRS tax relief for the disabled with help from TurboTax in this video on tax tips.
The article below is accurate for your 2017 taxes, the one that you file this year by the April 2018 deadline, including a few retroactive changes due to the passing of tax reform. Some tax information below will change next year for your 2018 taxes, but won’t impact you this year. Learn more about tax reform here.
Hello, I'm Sara from TurboTax with important news for disabled tax payers.
Suffering from a disability that keeps you from working can really limit the amount of income you have to live on. This is why the Federal government offers you some tax relief.
If you had no choice but to retire earlier than you planned because of a permanent disability, chances are you qualify for the Elderly and Disabled Tax Credit.
- This credit reduces the amount of income tax you owe on a dollar for dollar basis.
- When claiming the credit, you must file your taxes using forms 1040 or 1040A since you must attach schedule R to your return.
Although it's available to all taxpayers, your disability may increase your itemized tax deduction for medical expenses.
- The deduction includes a wide range of expenses that relate to maintaining your health but commonly include your hospital and doctor bills as well as prescription medications you need.
- When you total these up for the year on your Schedule A you can deduct the portion that exceeds 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income.
If you receive tax exempt disability payments and your other taxable income is relatively low, the Earned Income Tax Credit may increase your tax savings.
- Even if you don't owe taxes for the year, you should still claim the credit since it permits you to claim a refund when it exceeds your tax liability.
For more tax tips and guidance, visit TurboTax.com.
A TurboTax solution for every situation
See which tax prep product is right for you
Already have a
TurboTax Online account?
Welcome back! Simply sign in to get started or continue where you left off.
No problem, let's find the TurboTax product that's right for you.