What qualifies as a simple tax return?
Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):
- W-2 income
- Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
- IRS standard deduction
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
- Child tax credits
- Student loan interest deduction
Situations not covered:
- Itemized deductions
- Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
- Business or 1099-NEC income
- Stock sales
- Rental property income
- Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)
If you don’t have a simple tax return, we have other paid options to file using TurboTax.
How does TurboTax make any money?
We want our customers to love our products and services. Because we have customers who pay for our premium products and services, we can offer simple tax filing. We offer additional paid benefits that go beyond filing your simple taxes for free, but they're optional.