What qualifies as a simple tax return?
Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):
- W-2 income
- Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
- IRS standard deduction
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Child Tax Credit (CTC)
- Student loan interest deduction
Situations not covered:
- Itemized deductions claimed on Schedule A
- Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
- Business or 1099-NEC income
- Stock sales (including crypto investments)
- Rental property income
- Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules
If you don’t have a Form 1040 return with limited credits, we have other paid options to file using TurboTax.
How does TurboTax make any money?
We want our customers to love our products and services. Because we have customers who pay for our premium products and services, we can offer free tax filing. We offer additional paid benefits that go beyond filing your Form 1040 return with limited credits for free, but they're optional.