Think green - choose download
Here’s how it works:
Why TurboTax Basic is the easiest choice for you …
TurboTax Basic was designed to make doing your simple taxes easy, by guiding you step by step through your federal tax return. Choose TurboTax Basic if any of the following apply to you:
- You file a 1040EZ or other simple tax return
- You own your home but don’t have a mortgage
- You rent your home
If you have a mortgage, childcare expenses, or made charitable donations, TurboTax Deluxe will help you maximize your deductions for the biggest tax refund.
If you own investments or rental property, choose TurboTax Premier. It has everything in Deluxe PLUS will provide extra guidance so you get the most from your investments.
If you are a sole proprietor, consultant, 1099 contractor, or single-owner LLC, TurboTax Home & Business has everything in Premier and will help you make the most of your business and personal tax deductions.
Everything you need to easily do your simple tax return.
Does the Hard Work for You
- Asks Easy Questions, Tailored to You — Guides you step by step through your tax return, then puts your answers on the right tax forms for you, including 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040. Skips interview questions that don’t apply to you, so you can finish your return faster.
- Automatically Fills in W-2 and 1099 Info — Gets your W-2 and 1099 data directly from over 400,000 participating employers and financial institutions and automatically puts it in the right tax forms. A brief summary lets you review and edit downloaded information if necessary.
- Transfers Last Year’s TurboTax Info — No retyping necessary. Fills in information from your previous year’s return to save time and increase accuracy. Shows you what you’re importing and where it goes in your return. You can also import data from other tax software including TaxACT and H&R Block At Home™.3
- Imports Your Financial Data — Imports information from your financial software (including Quicken®, QuickBooks® 2007 and higher,4 and Microsoft® Money) so you can skip the cut and paste this year.
- Makes it Easy to Hold Your Place — Flag areas in your tax return so you can get back to them easily.
Provides Help When You Need It
- Live Tax Answers — Get live answers online from TurboTax experts and other TurboTax users in our Live Community.2 Plus you’ll have instant access to answers to commonly asked tax questions on every screen.
- Straightforward Guidance & Advice — Find help on any tax topic from anywhere within TurboTax. Get plain-English explanations of specific tax areas and helpful examples when you need them.
- Life Events Expert — Explains how changes in your life, such as purchasing a home, changing jobs or becoming a parent, will affect your taxes so you can prepare your return with confidence.
- Guide Me — Not sure how to answer a tax question? We’ll guide you to the right answer, making your taxes even easier.
- FREE Technical Support — Got a software question? No problem! Get answers from a TurboTax expert via phone or live chat.
Spots Errors and Shows How to Fix Them
- Smart Check™ Scans for Mistakes — Smart Check double-checks your return for errors, so you can be confident your taxes are done right.
- Guaranteed Accurate Calculations — If you should get hit with an IRS or state penalty or interest due to a TurboTax calculation error, we’ll pay you the penalty and interest.
- Keeps You Up-to-Date with the Latest Tax Forms — With a single click you can check for updates each time you start to ensure your return includes the latest IRS and state tax forms. No more disruptions while you work on your return.
Gets Your Refund Faster with Included Federal E-file
- Shows Your Tax Refund in Real Time — Watch your refund add up as you complete your return. Our Dual Refund Monitor constantly displays and updates both your federal and state refunds (or taxes due) as you complete your federal return.
- Federal E-file Included — E-file your federal return to get the fastest refund possible. Free federal e-file is included with TurboTax at no extra charge. If you’re a returning user, we’ll automatically transfer your e-file information from your previous year’s return to save you even more time.
Plus, includes these helpful features to make doing your taxes even easier:
- Allows You to Search Topic or Form — Looking for a specific form? Just type in the name of the form and TurboTax will take you to it.
- Compares Sales Tax vs. State Income Tax Deduction Savings — Shows you which tax deduction will get you the biggest savings: sales tax paid or state and local income taxes paid.
- Takes the Confusion Out of Vehicle Registration Deductions — Tells you if you can deduct vehicle registration costs and how to take the deduction.
- Summarizes Your Tax Situation — Compares this year’s return to last year’s return and shows you how your numbers compare with the U.S. average, so you can rest assured your taxes are accurate.
- Explains AMT and How to Avoid It — Gain a better understanding of the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) and how it affects your bottom line. Learn why you may be subject to AMT and how you can avoid it in the future.
- Helps with Education Credits and Deductions — Tells you who qualifies for education credits, which expenses are deductible and how to save the most money.
- Handles Social Security and Other Types of Income — Provides extra help for entering Social Security income, Disability income, Supplemental Security income, and dependent’s Social Security income.
- Simplifies Estimated Tax Payments — Explains how estimated taxes work and tells you if you need to make estimated quarterly payments.
- Risk Free — Not sure Basic Edition will cover your unique situation? Start anytime and we will prompt you if another TurboTax program may be better for you. When you upgrade, the info you’ve already entered so far will transfer automatically.
- Guides You Step by Step Through Amending Returns, if You Need To — TurboTax makes it easy to amend your return. Need more time? You can submit an application for a filing extension with just a few clicks.
We're out gathering the most recent reviews. It's worth the short wait, promise.
Make the switch to TurboTax.
Save money AND get all the help you need, without ever leaving home.
|TurboTax||Leading Tax Store|
|Asks you questions and fills in the right tax forms||
|Gets you every deduction and credit you deserve||
|Easily handles major life changes that can affect your taxes||
|Free tax advice from experienced tax experts who are all CPAs, Enrolled Agents, or Tax Attorneys1||
|Prepare and file your taxes on your schedule, anytime, 24/7||
|Saves you an average of $100 or more in preparing your taxes2||
|Saves you from additional form-by-form charges||
TurboTax prepared more federal tax returns last year than the leading tax store.3
1Live tax advice service is free and available year-round by phone or live chat for questions on 2012 U.S. Federal and State tax returns (restrictions apply). Free Edition customers only receive live chat; Business Edition customers only receive phone. Service, experience levels, hours of operation and availability vary and are subject to change without notice. Tax Attorneys are not providing legal advice and are authorized under IRS Circ 230 to provide tax assistance and tax advice. See full offer details.
2Based on 2012 reported company and survey data for personal returns. Actual savings vary based on tax situation.
3Based upon industry, historical and publicly available data for 2010 returns in the U.S.