Before you start tax preparation:
- Download and print this checklist as a PDF
- Place the checklist in a file folder, or attach it to the outside of the folder.
- As you receive or locate tax documents, place them in the folder and check them off the list.
- Scratch off anything on the list that doesn't apply to your tax situation (it's organized with the most common items on the first page).
- Enter information and amounts that are not already available on other documents, such as your bank routing number for direct deposit.
If you use a program such as Quicken® to keep track of your finances, print a report of your transactions for the tax year (e.g. 2014). This will make your tax preparation much easier, and helps you clearly see where your money goes each year. Having this information in a report is much easier than going through your checks and bank statements for the entire year. As you review the report, highlight information you will need to prepare your tax return or make notes to remind yourself of something later.
Don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader? Download it here. Or, print this page and use the checklist below.