1. EFile your tax extension online in minutes with TurboTax Easy Extension
File an extension and pay any income tax due by April 15 using our TurboTax Easy Extension web service. With TurboTax Easy Extension, you can:
- Efile your federal extension
- Make a payment of tax due, right from your checking or savings account
- Print a PDF copy of the extension you efiled
- Log into your Easy Extension account to see when your extension has been accepted by the IRS
- Access the forms you need to file a state extension by mail.
2. Print the IRS extension form, fill it out by hand, and mail it to the IRS
Refer to IRS Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Print the form and instructions. Fill out the form and send it to the IRS address for your state.
If you owe federal taxes, include your payment with your Form 4868 and mail it—postmarked by April 15, 2015. (If you don't make a payment for the taxes due, you could be liable for penalties and interest, even if you've filed for an extension.) Then complete and file your return on or before October 15, 2015.
Need to use a credit card to pay taxes owed?
If you've efiled or mailed Form 4868 and need to pay by credit card, you can use one of several IRS approved Electronic Payment Methods. You can pay with your credit card online or by phone. File your complete return by October 15, 2015.