Thank you for selecting the Software offered by Intuit Inc. and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates (referred to as "Intuit," "we," "our," or "us"). Review these license terms ("Agreement") thoroughly. This Agreement is a legal agreement between you and Intuit. By accepting electronically (for example clicking "I Agree" installing, accessing or using the Software, you agree to these terms. If you do not agree to this Agreement, then you may not use the Software.
A. GENERAL TERMS
1.1 This Agreement describes the terms governing your use of the Intuit Software including content, updates and new releases (collectively, the "Software"). It includes by reference:
2. LICENSE GRANT AND RESTRICTIONS
2.1 The Software is protected by copyright, trade secret, and other intellectual property laws. You are only granted certain limited rights to install and use the Software, and Intuit reserves all other rights in the Software not granted to you in writing herein. As long as you meet any applicable payment obligations and comply with this Agreement, Intuit grants you a personal, limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, revocable license to use the Software only for the period of use provided in the ordering and activation terms, as set forth in this Agreement, or in accordance with Intuit's then-current product discontinuation policies, as updated from time to time, and only for the purposes described by Intuit for the Software.
2.2 You acknowledge and agree that the Software is licensed, not sold. You agree not to use, nor permit any third party to use, the Software in a manner that violates any applicable law, regulation or this Agreement. You agree you will not:
3. PAYMENT. For Software licensed on a payment or subscription basis, the following terms apply, unless Intuit notifies you otherwise in writing. This Agreement also incorporates by reference and includes program ordering and payment terms provided to you for the Software:
4. YOUR PRIVACY AND PERSONAL INFORMATION. You can view Intuit's Privacy Statement provided with the Software and on the website for the Software. You agree to the applicable Intuit Privacy Statement, and any changes published by Intuit. You agree that Intuit may use and maintain your data according to the Intuit Privacy Statement, as part of the Software. You give Intuit permission to combine information you enter or upload for the Software with that of other users of the Software and/or other Intuit services. For example, this means that Intuit may use your and other users' non-identifiable, aggregated data to improve the Software or to design promotions and provide ways for you to compare business practices with other users. Intuit is a global company and may access or store personal information in multiple countries, including countries outside of your own country to the extent permitted by applicable law.
5.1 You are responsible for your content. You are responsible for all materials ("Content") uploaded, posted or stored through your use of the Software. You grant Intuit a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to host and use any Content provided through your use of the Software. Archive your Content frequently. You are responsible for lost or unrecoverable Content. You must provide all required and appropriate warnings, information and disclosures. Intuit is not responsible for the Content or data you provide through your use of the Software.
You agree not to use the Software, nor permit any third party to use, the Software to upload, post, distribute, link to, publish, reproduce, engage in or transmit any of the following, including but not limited to:
5.2 Community forums. The Software may include a community forum or other social features to exchange Content and information with other users of the Software and the public. Intuit does not support and is not responsible for the content in these community forums. Please use respect when you interact with other users. Do not reveal information that you do not want to make public. Users may post hypertext links to content of third parties for which Intuit is not responsible.
5.3 Intuit may freely use feedback you provide. You agree that Intuit may use your feedback, suggestions, or ideas in any way, including in future modifications of the Software, other products or services, advertising or marketing materials. You grant Intuit a perpetual, worldwide, fully transferable, sublicensable, non-revocable, fully paid-up, royalty free license to use the feedback you provide to Intuit in any way.
5.4 Intuit may monitor your Content. Intuit may, but has no obligation to, monitor content on the Software. We may disclose any information necessary to satisfy our legal obligations, protect Intuit or its customers, or operate the Software properly. Intuit, in its sole discretion, may refuse to post, remove, or refuse to remove, any content, in whole or in part, alleged to be unacceptable, undesirable, inappropriate, or in violation of this Agreement.
6. ADDITIONAL TERMS
6.1 Intuit does not give professional advice. Unless specifically included with the Software, Intuit is not in the business of providing legal, financial, accounting, tax, health care, real estate or other professional services or advice. Consult the services of a competent professional when you need this type of assistance.
6.2 We may tell you about other Intuit services. You may be offered other services, products, or promotions by Intuit ("Intuit Services"). Additional terms and conditions and fees may apply. With some Intuit Services you may upload or enter data such as names, addresses and phone numbers, purchases, etc., to the Internet. You grant Intuit permission to use information about your business and experience to help us to provide the Intuit Services to you and to enhance the Software. You grant Intuit permission to combine your business data, if any, with that of others in a way that does not identify you or any individual personally. You also grant Intuit permission to share or publish summary results relating to research data and to distribute or license such data to third parties.
6.3 Communications. Intuit may be required by law to send you communications about the Software or Third Party Products. You agree that Intuit may send these communications to you via email or by posting them on our websites.
6.4 You will manage your passwords and accept updates. You are responsible for securely managing your password(s) for access to the Software and to contact Intuit If you become aware of any unauthorized access to your account. The Software may periodically be updated with tools, utilities, improvements, third party applications, or general updates to improve the Software. You agree to receive these updates.
7. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
7.1 YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE AND CONTENT IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. EXCEPT AS DESCRIBED IN THIS AGREEMENT, THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS." TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, INTUIT, ITS AFFILIATES, AND ITS THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS, LICENSORS, DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS (COLLECTIVELY, "SUPPLIERS") DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY THAT THE SOFTWARE IS FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, DATA LOSS, NON-INTERFERENCE WITH OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, OR THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY OR CONTENT IN OR LINKED TO THE SOFTWARE. INTUIT AND ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS SECURE, FREE FROM BUGS, VIRUSES, INTERRUPTION, ERRORS, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION. IF THE EXCLUSIONS FOR IMPLIED WARRANTIES DO NOT APPLY TO YOU, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED TO 60 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE OR DELIVERY OF THE SERVICES, WHICHEVER IS SOONER.
7.2 INTUIT, ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES THAT YOUR USE OF THE SOFTWARE WILL SATISFY OR ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH ANY LEGAL OBLIGATIONS OR LAWS OR REGULATIONS.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF INTUIT, ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS FOR ALL CLAIMS RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT YOU PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE DURING THE TWELVE (12) MONTHS PRIOR TO SUCH CLAIM. SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAW, INTUIT, ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING: (A) INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; (B) DAMAGES RELATING TO FAILURES OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS, THE INTERNET, ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS, CORRUPTION, SECURITY, LOSS OR THEFT OF DATA, VIRUSES, SPYWARE, LOSS OF BUSINESS, REVENUE, PROFITS OR INVESTMENT, OR USE OF SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE THAT DOES NOT MEET INTUIT SYSTEMS REQUIREMENTS. THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS APPLY EVEN IF INTUIT AND ITS AFFILIATES AND SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THIS AGREEMENT SETS FORTH THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF INTUIT, ITS AFFILIATES AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE AND ITS USE.
You agree to indemnify and hold Intuit and its Affiliates and Suppliers harmless from any and all claims, liability and expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees and costs, arising out of your use of the Software or breach of this Agreement (collectively referred to as "Claims"). Intuit reserves the right, in its sole discretion and at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any Claims. You agree to reasonably cooperate as requested by Intuit in the defense of any Claims.
9. CHANGES. We reserve the right to change this Agreement at any time, and the changes will be effective when posted on our website for the Software or when we notify you by other means. We may also change or discontinue the Software, in whole or in part. Your continued use of the Software indicates your agreement to the changes.
10. TERMINATION. Intuit may immediately, in its sole discretion, and without notice terminate the Software if you fail to comply with this Agreement or if you no longer agree to receive electronic communications. Upon termination you must immediately stop using and delete or destroy all copies of the Software and any outstanding payments will become due. Any termination of this Agreement shall not affect Intuit's rights to any payments due to it. Intuit may terminate a free account at any time. Sections 2.2, 5, 7 through 14 will survive and remain in effect even if the Agreement is terminated, cancelled or rescinded.
11. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You acknowledge that the Software, and the underlying software may include U.S. technical data subject to restrictions under export control laws and regulations administered by the United States government. You agree that you will comply with these laws and regulations, and will not export or re-export the Software, or any part of the Software, in violation of these laws and regulations, directly or indirectly.
12. GOVERNING LAW. California state law governs this Agreement without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions.
13. DISPUTES. ANY DISPUTE OR CLAIM RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE INTUIT SOFTWARE OR THIS AGREEMENT WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING ARBITRATION, RATHER THAN IN COURT, except that you may assert claims in small claims court if your claims qualify. The Federal Arbitration Act governs the interpretation and enforcement of this provision; the arbitrator shall apply California law to all other matters. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, any party to the arbitration may at any time seek injunctions or other forms of equitable relief from any court of competent jurisdiction. WE EACH AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL DISPUTES MUST BE BROUGHT IN THE PARTIES' INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. BY ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREEING TO ARBITRATION, YOU AGREE THAT YOU AND INTUIT ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO FILE A LAWSUIT AND THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY. IN ADDITION, YOU AGREE TO WAIVE THE RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION OR LITIGATE ON A CLASS-WIDE BASIS. YOU AGREE THAT YOU HAVE EXPRESSLY AND KNOWINGLY WAIVED THESE RIGHTS.
To begin an arbitration proceeding, send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your claim to Intuit Inc., in care of our registered agent Corporation Service Company, 2711 Centerville Road, Wilmington, DE 19808. Arbitration will be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) before a single AAA arbitrator under the AAA's rules, which are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879. Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees and costs will be governed by the AAA's rules, but if you are unable to pay any of them, Intuit will pay them for you. In addition, Intuit will reimburse all such fees and costs for claims totaling less than $75,000 unless the arbitrator determines the claims are frivolous. Likewise, Intuit will not seek its attorneys' fees or costs in arbitration unless the arbitrator determines your claims or defenses are frivolous. You may choose to have the arbitration conducted by telephone, based on written submissions, or in person in the county where you live or at another mutually agreed location. The decision of the arbitrator shall be final and not appealable, and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. This Section 13 shall survive expiration, termination or rescission of this Agreement.
14. GENERAL. This Agreement, including Additional Terms below is the entire agreement between you and Intuit and replaces all prior understandings, communications and agreements, oral or written, regarding its subject matter. If any court of law, having the jurisdiction, rules that any part of this Agreement is invalid, that section will be removed without affecting the remainder of the Agreement. The remaining terms will be valid and enforceable. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods does not apply to this Agreement. You cannot assign or transfer ownership of this Agreement to anyone without written approval of Intuit. However, Intuit may assign or transfer it without your consent to (a) an affiliate, (b) a company through a sale of assets by Intuit or (c) a successor by merger. Any assignment in violation of this Section shall be void.
B. SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS
Your use of the Services provided by Intuit are subject to the General End User License Agreement terms above and the Additional Terms and Conditions below. These Additional Terms and Conditions shall prevail over any conflict or inconsistency with the General End User License Agreement terms above.
TurboTax for Mac (hereinafter, "Services").
USE LIMITATIONS. IMPORTANT NOTICE. IF YOU ARE USING THE TURBOTAX FOR MAC SERVICES, THE FOLLOWING TERMS APPLY TO YOU IN ADDITION TO THE GENERAL TERMS OF SERVICE ABOVE. Capitalized terms not otherwise defined below have the meanings provided in the General Terms of Service.
1. LICENSE GRANT AND RESTRICTIONS.
1.1. License. You are hereby granted a limited, nonexclusive, nontransferable, revocable license to use the Services on one Mac computer, solely for the purpose of preparing and filing for a per-return fee—your 2013 federal and/or state personal income tax returns, where supported by the Services.
1.2 Number of Returns. You may use the Services to prepare up to five (5) federal and/or state tax returns, and after the applicable payment is made, to file such returns electronically or by printing and mailing to the IRS and/or appropriate state agency.
1.3. Additional Examples of Restrictions on Use. You may not use the Services to prepare tax returns, schedules or worksheets on a professional or commercial basis (i.e., for a preparer's or other fee).
2. FEES AND PAYMENT.
Prices are ultimately determined at time of print or e-file and are subject to change without notice. You should confirm that the pricing for your use of the Services has not changed, particularly if some time has passed between the date you start your tax return and the date you finish and are ready to file or print and pay for it. The price for your use of the Service is established at the time you pay for it. Your price will not change once you pay for your Service.
All fees that apply to your use of the Services shall be made through Intuit's third party provider. Additionally, you may also be required to pay fees and charges to others in connection with your use of the Services. For example, your Internet service provider may impose charges for use of your computer in connection with the use of the Services, including fees for data transmissions and/or other charges. It is your responsibility to understand and pay for all such charges.
3.1. Services. The term "Services" includes any Intuit tax preparation software or service made available through a third party or Intuit website, which may be subject to additional fees as described on the third party or Intuit website.
3.2. Electronic Filing Services.
3.3. Paper Filing. If you choose not to file your return electronically, you can create a copy of your completed return (Internet connection required) from which you can print and file.
3.4 Import Services. TurboTax for Mac Services includes a feature that allows you to import, where applicable, certain tax-related information from participating financial institutions, payroll processors, personal financial software such as Quicken software, business financial software such as QuickBooks and charitable deduction information from ItsDeductible branded software or services. You are responsible for verifying the accuracy of the information that is imported.
3.5 Tax Advice. The Services includes a feature that connects you to an Intuit Tax Advice service to obtain answers to most tax questions. Additional fees may apply. Internet access is required to use this service. If you choose to use it, you understand and agree that neither Intuit nor the Intuit Tax Advice service advisor will sign your tax return as the paid preparer of the return. Service levels and availability will vary based on demand and capacity and are subject to change without notice. To ensure a good experience and appropriate levels of coverage for everyone using the service, the tax expert may terminate the communication at his/her sole discretion after 20 minutes, or if it is otherwise determined that you are misusing or unnecessarily extending the duration of the communication. The full terms and conditions governing the Intuit Tax Advice service will be available on the Tax Advice service web site, and by accessing and using the Tax Advice service, you agree to be bound by those terms and conditions, which supplement, and supersede where inconsistent, this Agreement.
3.6 TurboTax Upgrades. If you require additional features and functionality for your tax preparation services, you may be offered upgraded versions of TurboTax for Mac where you will be subject to different fees.
4. ONLINE DATA TRANSFER (not applicable for Software and Trial versions that do not include access to the Online Data Transfer feature).
You may have the option to transfer a copy of your tax return from the Software to Intuit's online servers (the "Online Data Transfer") in order for Intuit to provide you with access to your return across multiple, supported computing devices, if applicable, and in order for you to easily transfer your data between Intuit tax products from year to year. Separate fees may apply. In order for you to select the Online Data Transfer option, you must (i) have registered select, specified versions of the Software, and (ii) have Internet access. If you select the Online Data Transfer option, your data will be transferred via the Internet to Intuit's servers (the "Transferred Files"). You grant Intuit permission to (i) host and maintain the Transferred Files and (ii) reformat and manipulate the Transferred Files as reasonably necessary for the data to function across multiple computing devices for the purpose of enabling you to start, continue, and complete your return or your return for the following tax year if you choose.
Intuit shall have the right, in its sole discretion and with reasonable notice posted on the TurboTax website and/or sent to you at your email address provided in product registration data, to revise, update, or otherwise modify the Online Data Transfer feature and establish or change limits concerning use of the Online Data Transfer feature, temporarily or permanently. Intuit reserves the right to make any such changes effective immediately to maintain the security of the system or to comply with any laws or regulations, and to provide you with electronic or written notice within a reasonable period of time after such change. You may reject changes by discontinuing use of the Online Data Transfer feature to which such changes relate.
5. USE WITH YOUR MAC.
5.1 Use with your Mac. Access to the Services may not be available for all Mac versions or telecommunication providers. You will need to check the Services website to ensure your Mac is compatible with TurboTax for Mac.
5.2 Apple Requirements. By downloading the Services from the Mac App Store, the following terms also apply to you:
6. HELP AND SUPPORT.
Intuit may use a variety of methods (e.g., in-product, Internet, e-mail, chat, fax and phone) to provide technical support and customer service in connection with the Services. The terms and conditions governing the offering of this support, which may require the payment of an additional fee, are subject to change as announced by Intuit from time to time. Use the Help button within TurboTax for Mac for the most up-to-date information relating to this support and any associated charges. Intuit is solely responsible for providing help and support, not Apple.
You may use the Service without charge up to the point you decide to print or electronically file your tax return. Printing or electronically filing your return reflects your satisfaction with software, at which time you will be required to pay for the Services.
8. THIRD PARTY SERVICES.
To facilitate Third Party Services, Intuit may be required to obtain your explicit consent for disclosure and/or use of the information you have provided to Intuit. By accepting these agreements and consents you authorize Intuit to use and disclose your contact information, including name and address, for the purpose of making the Services you choose available to you. Your participation in such Third Party Services indicates your acceptance of such terms and conditions for such Third Party Services.
9. TAX RETURN PASSWORD SECURITY.
It is not required, but you may create a password and security question to protect your tax return. You are the only person authorized to use your password and for maintaining its confidentiality. You shall not permit or allow other persons to have access to or use your password. You are responsible for securing access to your tax return. Intuit will not have access to your password and cannot provide it if you lose or forget it. If you password protect your tax return, you must remember your password to electronically transfer your tax return information into next year's tax return.
10. PRIVACY OF PERSONAL AND TAX RETURN INFORMATION.
Intuit will not use your personal data for any purpose other than providing the Services to you or as required by law. We retain copies of your W-2, completed and filed tax returns as required by IRS and state regulations and in accordance with Intuit's Records and Information Management Policy. This information may also be used to perform analysis relating to your claims under our guarantees, or to provide you with a copy of your returns for your convenience.
At Intuit we place the highest importance on respecting and protecting the privacy of our customers. Our most important asset is our relationship with you. We want you to feel comfortable and confident when using our products and services and with entrusting your personal and tax return information to us. Our full TurboTax Privacy Statement can be found on the TurboTax website. To contact us with a question, visit our website or write to us at: Privacy Team, Intuit Inc., 2800 East Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 85706.
You are responsible for protecting the information on your computer such as by installing anti-virus software, updating your software, password protecting your files, and not permitting third party physical or electronic access to your computer.
11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND DAMAGES.
YOU UNDERSTAND THAT INTUIT WILL NOT AUDIT OR OTHERWISE VERIFY ANY INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE, AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DISALLOWED DEDUCTIONS, OR THE INCLUSION OF ADDITIONAL UNREPORTED INCOME OR RESULTING TAXES, PENALTIES OR INTEREST.
EXCEPT FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT FOR CALCULATION ERRORS DESCRIBED IN SECTION 6 OF THESE SUPPLEMENTAL TERMS, THE ENTIRE CUMULATIVE LIABILITY OF INTUIT AND ITS SUPPLIERS FOR ANY REASON ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE LIMITED AS SET FORTH IN SECTION 7 OF THE GENERAL TERMS.
INTUIT SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR INVESTMENT, TAX POSITIONS TAKEN BY YOU, INABILITY TO FILE YOUR RETURN, DELAY IN PREPARING YOUR TAX RETURN, INCORRECT OR INCOMPLETE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO INTUIT, ANY ACCESS TO, OR USE OF, YOUR PASSWORD AND USER ID BY AN UNAUTHORIZED PERSON.
INTUIT SHALL BE NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DEFAULT OR DELAY IN THE PERFORMANCE OF ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT TO THE EXTENT ITS PERFORMANCE IS DELAYED OR PREVENTED DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND ITS REASONABLE CONTROL, SUCH AS ACTS OF GOD, NATURAL DISASTERS, TERRORIST ACTS, WAR OR OTHER HOSTILITIES, LABOR DISPUTES, CIVIL DISTURBANCES, THE ACTIONS OR OMISSIONS OF THIRD PARTIES, ELECTRICAL OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEM FAILURES, OR GOVERNMENTAL ACTION.
You agree that Intuit is not acting as your agent or fiduciary in connection with your use of the Services.
You can contact Intuit Inc. by mail at TurboTax, Intuit, Inc., 2800 E Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 85706 or by calling 888-777-3066 if you have a question or concern about any product or service we sell over the Internet. The address and telephone number of the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs is: 400 R Street, Suite 1080, Sacramento, CA 95814-6200, 800-952-5210.
12.1 Additional Third Party Software Licensing Terms.
The Services may contain third party software components which are governed by and subject to commercial terms and licenses as provided below. You must comply with any such commercial terms and licenses with regard to these separate third party software components. Intuit makes no warranty concerning these third party software components.11.1.1. TurboTax for Mac may contain Xerces-C, Copyright © 1999-2009 The Apache Software Foundation. Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License