Ask a Tax Expert Service Agreement
- The terms and conditions below and the Live Tax Advice FAQs (together, the "Agreement"), shall govern your use of the Live Tax Advice service (the "Service"). By using the Service you are accepting the terms and conditions in this Agreement between you and Intuit Consumer Group Inc. ("Intuit").
- For Federal tax questions, this service is available at no additional charge in select TurboTax products; otherwise fees may apply. You understand that as part of the Service, an Intuit tax advisor will answer your questions related to U.S. federal tax laws (for individual Form 1040). State tax questions are at the advisor's discretion.
- The following tax related topics are not included as part of the Service:
- Local, municipal and school district tax questions
- Issues unrelated to the preparation of the tax return or unrelated to income taxes (i.e. sales, use, inheritance, etc.)
- Federal non-resident questions (Form 1040NR)
- Bankruptcy questions
- Business incorporation questions
- Consolidated returns
- The Service does not include any legal or investment advice, tax, estate or investment planning, or areas listed in the Live Tax Advice FAQs. Internet access is required to use this Service. Service levels and availability will vary based on demand and capacity and are subject to change without notice. To ensure a good experience and appropriate levels of coverage for everyone using the Service, the tax expert may terminate the communication at his/her sole discretion after 20 minutes, or if it is otherwise determined that you are misusing or unnecessarily extending the duration of the communication. State tax advice may be discontinued for any state at any time.
- Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice given to you, including anything provided to you in writing, is not intended to be used, and it cannot be used, by any person or entity for the purpose of avoiding penalties imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.
- The tax advice provided to you by the tax advisors will be based on information you provide to the advisor. You understand and agree that the advisor is not able to verify the information you provide, and that if you provide incorrect or incomplete information, the advice provided to you may not be accurate. You understand that you are responsible for the preparation of your return. You understand and agree that the tax advisor will not review your tax return and will not sign your tax return.
- If you use the Service, are a registered user of any TurboTax product, and you pay an IRS or state penalty and/or interest solely due to reliance on incorrect advice provided to you through the Service, and not as a result of, among other things, your failure to provide accurate or complete information to the advisor, willful or fraudulent omission or inclusion of information on your tax return, misclassification of information on the tax return, or failure to file an amended return to avoid or reduce an applicable penalty/interest after Intuit notified you of the incorrect advice, then Intuit will reimburse you in the amount of the IRS or state penalty and/or interest paid by you to the IRS or state applicable to the current tax year. If you believe this has occurred to you, you must notify Intuit in writing at Intuit Consumer Group Inc., TurboTax Tax Analysts, 2800 E. Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 85706 as soon as you learn of the mistake (and in no event later than 30 days after the penalty or interest is assessed). You must include a copy of the IRS/state notice, evidence of payment of the specified penalty and/or interest, a copy of the applicable hardcopy tax return and a disc with the applicable tax return data file on it. You are responsible for paying any additional tax liability you owe and providing any other information Intuit reasonably requests.
- All warranties or guarantees given or made by Intuit with respect to the Service (1) are for the benefit of the original user of the Service only and are not transferable, and (2) shall be null and void if the user breaches any terms or conditions of this Agreement.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED ABOVE, THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, INTUIT AND ITS AFFILIATES, DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE SERVICE.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND DAMAGES. YOU AGREE NOT TO HOLD INTUIT AND ITS AFFILIATES LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE. ADDITIONALLY, EXCEPT FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT FOR ADVICE ERRORS DESCRIBED ABOVE WHICH IS YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY, INTUIT AND ITS REPRESENTATIVES ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR ANY REASON RELATED TO THE SERVICE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, INTUIT AND ITS AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS, LOSS, CORRUPTION OR THEFT OF DATA, LOSS OF PROFITS OR INVESTMENT, OR THE LIKE), WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT LIABILITY, PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF INTUIT OR ITS AFFILIATES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND EVEN IF A REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT DOES INTUIT ASSUME ANY LIABILITY TO ANY PARTY OTHER THAN YOU ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE.
- The limitations of damages or liability and the disclaimers of warranties set forth in this Agreement are fundamental elements of the basis of the bargain between Intuit and you. You acknowledge and agree that Intuit would not be able to provide the Service on an economic basis without such limitations and that Intuit provides the Service in reliance upon such limitations of damages and liability and disclaimers of warranties.
- The details of Intuit's privacy statement are available at: http://security.intuit.com/privacy
- Arbitration Provision. You agree that any and all disputes which in any way arise out of or relate to the Service or this Agreement, shall be resolved solely by binding arbitration before the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") before a single arbitrator in arbitration commenced as close as possible to where you reside. Any and all disputes must be brought in the parties' individual capacity, and not as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding. Judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Each party to any such arbitration shall bear its own separate costs and expenses of the arbitration and shall share equally in the charges of the AAA, including the fee of the arbitrator. However, if you are unable to pay any fee of the AAA or the arbitrator, we agree to pay those fees for you. By agreeing to arbitration, you and we are waiving our rights to file a lawsuit and proceed in court and to have a jury trial to resolve disputes. The word "disputes" is given its broadest possible meaning, and includes all claims, disputes or controversies, including without limitation any claim or attempt to set aside this arbitration provision. The Federal Arbitration Act will apply to any questions of arbitrability, and the arbitrator shall apply California law to all other matters.
- Miscellaneous. This Agreement is a complete statement of the agreement between you and Intuit, and sets forth the entire liability of Intuit and its advisors and your exclusive remedy with respect to the Service. The Intuit advisors and employees are not authorized to make modifications to this Agreement, or to make any additional representations, commitments, or warranties binding on Intuit. Intuit may change this Agreement from time to time, and the changes will be effective when posted on our website for the Service or when we notify you by other means. California state law governs this Agreement without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions. If any provision of this Agreement is invalid or unenforceable under applicable law, then it shall be, to that extent, deemed omitted and the remaining provisions will continue in full force and effect. You cannot assign or transfer ownership of this Agreement to anyone without written approval of Intuit. However, Intuit may assign or transfer it without your consent to (a) an affiliate, (b) a company through a sale of assets by Intuit or (c) a successor by merger. Any assignment in violation of this Section shall be void.
- The tax reform consulting promotion is a free offer subject to cancellation at any time without notice. The promotion is limited to one 15 minute consultation per person with a tax expert. The consult will be solely for the purpose of explaining the impacts of tax reform; the tax expert will not give advice or tax prep guidance on prior year taxes.
- Displayed reviews are for the TurboTax Live standalone service from Tax Year 2017 and not for the new Turbo Tax product / TurboTax Live bundle available for Tax Year 2018.
- Try for Free/Pay When You File: TurboTax online and mobile pricing is based on your tax situation and varies by product. $0 federal (for simple tax returns) + $0 state + $0 to file offer only available with TurboTax Free Edition; offer may change or end at any time without notice. Actual prices are determined at the time of print or e-file and are subject to change without notice. Savings and price comparisons based on anticipated price increase. Special discount offers may not be valid for mobile in-app purchases.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed Offer with TurboTax Self-Employed and TurboTax Live Self-Employed for Extension Filers: To receive your complimentary subscription to QuickBooks Self-Employed through 10/31/20, you must pay for your 2018 TurboTax Self-Employed or TurboTax Live Self-Employed return between 4/16/19 and 10/15/19 and sign-in and access your QuickBooks Self-Employed account via mobile app or at https://selfemployed.intuit.com/turbotax at least twice by 12/31/19. You will have the option of renewing your QuickBooks Self-Employed subscription by 10/31/20 for another year at the then-current subscription rate. You may cancel your subscription at any time from within the QuickBooks Self-Employed billing section. See https://quickbooks.intuit.com/self-employed/ for price comparison. Offer not valid for existing QuickBooks Self-Employed subscribers already on a payment plan.
- Pays for itself (TurboTax Self-Employed): Estimates based on deductible business expenses calculated at the self-employment tax income rate (15.3%) for tax year 2018. Actual results will vary based on your tax situation.
- Anytime, anywhere: Internet access required; standard data rates apply to download and use mobile app.
- Fastest refund possible: Fastest tax refund with e-file and direct deposit; tax refund time frames will vary. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.
- Pay for TurboTax out of your federal refund: A $39.99 Refund Processing Service fee applies to this payment method. Prices are subject to change without notice.
- TurboTax Help and Support: Access to a TurboTax specialist is included with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed and TurboTax Live; not included with Free Edition (but is available as an upgrade). TurboTax specialists are available to provide general customer help and support using the TurboTax product. SmartLook on-screen help is available on a PC, laptop or the TurboTax mobile app. Service, area of expertise, experience levels, wait times, hours of operation and availability vary, and are subject to restriction and change without notice.
- Tax Advice, Expert Review and TurboTax Live: Access to tax advice and Expert Review (the ability to have a Tax Expert review and/or sign your tax return) is included with TurboTax Live or as an upgrade from another version, and available through December 31, 2019. These services are provided only by credentialed CPAs, EAs or tax attorneys. Some tax topics or situations may not be included as part of this service, which shall be determined in the tax expert’s sole discretion. For the Assist & Review product, if your return requires a significant level of tax advice or actual preparation, the tax expert may be required to sign as the preparer at which point they will assume primary responsibility for the preparation of your return. For the Full Service product, the tax expert will sign your return as preparer. Administrative services may be provided by assistants to the tax expert. Payment by federal refund is not available when a tax expert signs your return. On-screen help is available on a desktop, laptop or the TurboTax mobile app. Unlimited access to TurboTax Live CPAs and EAs refers to an unlimited quantity of contacts available to each customer, but does not refer to hours of operation or service coverage. Service, area of expertise, experience levels, wait times, hours of operation and availability vary, and are subject to restriction and change without notice.
- Tax Return Access, Smart Insights and My Docs features: Included with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed, TurboTax Live or with PLUS benefits. Access to the prior seven years of tax-related documents we have on file for you is available through 10/31/2020. Terms and conditions may vary and are subject to change without notice.
- Easy Online Amend: Included with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed, TurboTax Live or with PLUS benefits. Make changes to your 2018 tax return online for up to 3 years after it has been filed and accepted by the IRS through 10/31/2021. Terms and conditions may vary and are subject to change without notice.
- #1 best-selling tax software: Based on aggregated sales data for all tax year 2017 TurboTax products.
- Most Popular: TurboTax Deluxe is our most popular product among TurboTax Online users with more complex tax situations.
- CompleteCheck: Covered under the TurboTax accurate calculations and maximum refund guarantees.
- #1 rated online tax prep provider: Based on independent comparison of the best online tax software by TopTenReviews.com January 29, 2018.
- Get tips from Turbo based on your tax and credit data to help get you to where you want to be: Tax and credit data accessed upon your consent.
- 100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee: If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we’ll pay you the penalty and interest.
- Maximum Refund Guarantee - or Your Money Back: If you get a larger refund or smaller tax due from another tax preparation method, we'll refund the applicable TurboTax federal and/or state purchase price paid. TurboTax Online Free Edition customers are entitled to payment of $14.99.
- 100% Accurate Expert Approved Guarantee: If you pay an IRS or state penalty (or interest) because of an error that a TurboTax CPA, EA, or Tax Attorney made while providing topic-specific tax advice, a section review, or acting as a signed preparer for your return, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.
- Audit Support Guarantee: If you received an audit letter based on your 2018 TurboTax return and are not satisfied with how we responded to your inquiry, we’ll refund the applicable TurboTax federal 1040 and/or state purchase price you paid. TurboTax Free Edition customers are entitled to payment of $14.99. We will not represent you or provide legal advice. Excludes TurboTax Business.
- TurboTax Free Guarantee: $0 Federal + $0 State + $0 To File offer is available for simple tax returns with TurboTax Free Edition. A simple tax return is Form 1040 only, with no attached schedules.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed:
- If you use TurboTax Online or Mobile:
Satisfaction Guaranteed — or you don't pay. You may use TurboTax Online without charge up to the point you decide to print or electronically file your tax return. Printing or electronically filing your return reflects your satisfaction with TurboTax Online, at which time you will be required to pay or register for the product.
- If you bought or downloaded TurboTax from a retailer:
Try TurboTax software. If you're not satisfied, return it to Intuit within 60 days of purchase with your dated receipt for a full refund.
- If you bought or downloaded TurboTax directly from us:
Try TurboTax software. If you're not satisfied, return it within 60 days of shipment with your dated receipt for a full refund (excluding shipping & handling).
- Installation requirements: Product activation required via Internet. Install on up to 5 of your computers. Download option requires free online Intuit account. You must accept the TurboTax License Agreement to use this product (www.TurboTax.com/softwarelicense). Not for use by paid preparers.
- TurboTax CD/Download products: Price includes tax preparation and printing of federal tax returns and free federal e-file of up to 5 federal tax returns. Additional fees apply for e-filing state returns. E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns. Savings and price comparison based on anticipated price increase. Prices subject to change without notice.
- Fastest refund possible: Fastest tax refund with e-file and direct deposit; tax refund time frames will vary. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.
- Pay for additional TurboTax services out of your federal refund: A $39.99 Refund Processing Service fee applies to this payment method. Prices are subject to change without notice. This benefit is available with TurboTax Federal products except TurboTax Business.
- About our TurboTax Product Experts: Customer service and product support vary by time of year.
- #1 best-selling tax software: Based on aggregated sales data for all tax year 2018 TurboTax products.
- Data Import: Imports financial data from participating companies; may require a free Intuit online account. Quicken and QuickBooks import not available with TurboTax installed on a Mac. Imports from Quicken (2017 and higher) and QuickBooks Desktop (2017 and higher); both Windows only. Quicken import not available for TurboTax Business. Quicken products provided by Quicken Inc., Quicken import subject to change.