Indiana 2011: Earned Income Credit (EIC)
Taxpayers may be eligible for an earned income credit on their Indiana tax return.
Certain customers, who filed a 2011 Indiana tax return and received a federal earned income credit, may have filed an incorrect Indiana tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if the following are true:
- You filed an Indiana state tax return (Form IT-40 or Form IT-40PNR) before February 11, 2012 AND
- You received an earned income credit on your federal return (see Form 1040, line 64a, Form 1040A, line 38a, or on Form 1040EZ, line 8a), AND
- You do not have any dependents listed on your tax return
If you are affected, you may not have received an Indiana earned income credit and overpaid your Indiana state tax. You may need to amend your Indiana tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return to the Indiana Department of Revenue.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email you received from TurboTax.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Indiana Department of Revenue.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Indiana 2011: EIC.