Error: "Form 2441: Care provider's ident # is invalid ..." When E-filing
Article ID: SLN12064
The complete message reads:
Form 2441: Care provider's ident # is invalid for electronic filing. Enter a correct social security number in 'nnn-nn-nnnn' format or an employer identification number in 'nn-nnnnnnn' format.
How to resolve this error
- Click the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab if using the Home & Business version) > Deductions & Credits > Explore on My Own.
- Click the Update button to the right of Child and Dependent Care.
- Click Yes and continue to the Care Provider Summary screen, then click Edit.
- In the EIN or SSN field, re-enter the caretaker's social security number in EIN format (two digits, followed by a dash, followed by the remaining numbers). The reformatted number should look like this example: 12-3456789.
- Click Continue until you return to the Care Provider Summary screen.
- Save your return and try e-filing again.