Note: If you have a simple tax situation, you’ll likely be using Wisconsin’s short form (Form 1A). If that’s the case, your amend experience might be a little different than what’s described below.
By the time you come to the Important: Read and Follow Your Wisconsin Amend Instructions page, we’ve already transferred any relevant info from your federal amended return to your Wisconsin amended return. In most cases, we usually don’t need any more info than this and you can skip to Review your Wisconsin amend info.
But if you have additional changes you need to make for Wisconsin (see example below), use the Topic List to find and go to the area where you need to make your change:
To use the Topic List:
- For TurboTax CD/Download, select the Show Topic List button in the upper right-hand corner (under Help Center). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
- For TurboTax for Mac, select the Topic List icon at the top of the screen (next to Search Topics). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
Example of steps to make a Wisconsin-specific change:
- If you’re amending to add medical insurance expenses, use the Topic List and then scroll to and click on the Adjustments to Income link.
- On the Do You Have Any Adjustments to Income? page, check the box for Paid Out of Pocket for Medical Care Insurance if it is not marked already. Select Continue.
- If you also need to enter or edit education-related info (for example, you contributed to a 529 plan), you may need to continue through a few pages until you get to the Medical Care Insurance page, where you can enter or edit your medical insurance expense information. Select Continue.
- Continue until you get to the Your Wisconsin Info page. (If you have any additional changes to make for Wisconsin, you can go to another specific area from here.)
- Next, look for the Other Forms section.
- Next to Other forms, select Update.
- Continue until you get back to the Important: Read and Follow Your Wisconsin Amend Instructions page.
- Select Continue.
Review your Wisconsin amend info
Depending on your situation, you’ll see either the Copy Your Federal Amended Explanation? or the Let’s Make Sure You’re Ready to Review page:
- For Copy Your Federal Amended Explanation?: Continue until you see the Your Wisconsin Info page.
- If you have additional amended info to enter, select the section you’d like to go back to.
- Answer questions as needed until you are back at this page.
- For Let’s Make Sure You’re Ready to Review: If you’re ready to review, answer yes and select Continue.
If you’re NOT ready to review, we can help you make any additional changes or updates:
- When you come to the About Your Wisconsin Amended Return page, you’ll be able to see the form for your amended return.
- At this point you should scroll through and review your amend info and answer any questions that may still need to be answered.
- Note: Be sure to complete page 3 of the form to provide the following information.
- Choose an Explanation code from the drop down menu or provide a reason for the change. For the medical care insurance example mentioned above, your explanation would be something like “Line 1 - Amending to correct for medical care insurance expenses.”
- Fill in the name used on your 2010 return.
- Check the box if it has not changed or enter the name you used before.
- Select Continue once you’re finished reviewing.
You should now see the Your Wisconsin Info page.
- Select Done with Wisconsin. At this point we may check your Wisconsin amended return for errors.
- Correct any errors and you should be good to go.
- Continue on to Wrap-Up.
- Print your Wisconsin amended return.
- You’ll be asked to print (and save) both your federal and Wisconsin amended returns in Wrap-Up.
- Note: If you’re amending only your Wisconsin return, you’ll need to print in the File section (not Wrap-Up).
- Sign and mail your Wisconsin amended return.
- Drop your amended Wisconsin return in the mail. Just like the IRS, the state of Wisconsin does not allow amended returns to be e-filed. The mailing address will be included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return. The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return.
- That’s it! Once your Wisconsin amended return is in the mail, you’re all done.
IMPORTANT: If you started amending your state return and discover that you don't need to amend, please see Removing a State Amendment Form.
Note: Be sure to save a copy of your amended tax return. You'll transfer your amended information to next year's version of TurboTax.