Utah 2011: Railroad Retirement Benefit Distribution
Utah taxpayers who received income from a Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution may use various methods to calculate the taxable portion of this income.
Certain customers, who received a Form RRB-1099-R for a Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution and used the simplified method to compute the corresponding tax, may have filed an incorrect Utah tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 Utah Income Tax Return before February 16, 2012 AND
- You received a Form RRB-1099-R, and had an amount in Box 3 “Employee Contributions” AND
- TurboTax used the “Simplified Method” to calculate the taxable portion of your Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution AND
- Your amount on Form RRB-1099-R, Line 7 is EQUAL to the railroad retirement benefit amount next to “code 78” on your Utah Form TC-40A, Part 2 (Subtractions from income)
If you are affected, the subtraction amount on Form TC-40, line 8 may be incorrect. If so, you may have underpaid your Utah tax and need to amend your Utah tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return to the Utah State Tax Commission.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email you received from TurboTax.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print thisAuthorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Utah State Tax Commission.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Utah 2011: RRB Basis.