Can I switch or upgrade to a higher version of TurboTax?
You can upgrade to a more fully-featured version of TurboTax at any time before filing your return, without having to start over.
For example, if you sold a lot of stocks or run a home-based business, you may want to upgrade from Basic or Deluxe to the Premier or Home & Business versions, respectively.
Here's a few things you need to know before upgrading:
- The upgrading fee is the price difference between the version you're using and the upgraded version.
- Once you've upgraded, you cannot downgrade back to your original version. More info
- You cannot upgrade from TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business to TurboTax Business.
- Although they sound similar, upgrading is not the same thing as updating. Updating, which is free, applies the latest available tax forms, bug fixes, and enhancements to the program. More about updating
Select your version below for complete upgrade instructions. Which version am I using?
- Sign in to TurboTax Online.
- Click the Home tab.
- In the We can help you... section in the lower-left corner, click the link Upgrade to a different TurboTax product.
- A pop-up window with a comparison chart will open. Select the version you want to upgrade to at the bottom of the pop-up window and click Upgrade Now.
TurboTax CD/Download Software
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- Click Upgrade for Additional Help. This will open a feature comparison chart with upgrade pricing.
- Click Upgrade Now, and then click OK to save your return.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to submit payment for the upgrade.
Unlike the Windows or Online versions, there is no specific command that will upgrade your TurboTax for Mac. Instead, the program will prompt you to upgrade when you get to an appropriate area in the program.
For example, if you're using Basic or Deluxe, you will be prompted to upgrade to Premier when you enter your stock sales.