Error: "TurboTax cannot be updated if it is running on the CD or is installed in a folder that you do not have the privileges to change" and related errors (Mac)
Article ID: SLN12124
One of these messages appear on a Macintosh computer when updating or downloading TurboTax State:
- Product updating cannot occur if you are running any part of TurboTax from a locked portion of your drive or from the CD-ROM
- TurboTax cannot be updated if it is running on the CD or is installed in a folder that you do not have the privileges to change. Please log into your computer as the user that originally installed TurboTax or copy TurboTax into your home directory.
- Error Downloading Your TurboTax State Product. The state product for TurboTax could not be downloaded. Please try again later.
These and similar errors will occur if one of the following are true:
- You are running TurboTax directly from the CD (as though it were a music CD)
- The user is signed in with a different login than what was initially used to install TurboTax.