Uncommon tax situations may require a tax calculation that deviates from the standard. TurboTax Desktop software allows you to to override a tax calculation, if necessary. Overriding is not an option in TurboTax Online.
If you override a TurboTax calculation, keep in mind the following:
- The TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee is invalidated.
- You must print and mail your return because TurboTax won't let you e-file a tax return with overridden values.
How to override a calculated value
Follow these steps:
- Switch to Forms Mode and open the form that contains the line item you want to override.
- Right-click the line item and select Override (or choose Override from the Edit menu). This action "open" the field to accept a manual entry.
- Enter the value; it will turn red.
- Switch back to the interview by clicking Step-by-Step in the upper right corner.
To cancel the override, follow the same directions except choose Cancel Override (or uncheck the Override menu option).
How to find overridden values
When you run the final review, TurboTax will warn you of overridden values. You can also find them by following these steps:
- In the Interview, select My Tax Data from the Tools menu (Windows menu in Mac).
- In the My Tax Data window, click the Source or Type column to sort alphabetically.
- Look for Overridden in the Source or Type column. You can go to the overridden value on the tax form by selecting the entry and clicking Go to Form.