Excess medical expense reimbursement is not calculating correctly
When trying to report medical expense reimbursements received in 2009 for 2008 medical expenses, the reimbursement amount is not flowing to the Form 1040, line 21 as expected.
Reimbursements for medical expenses received in 2008 need to be entered separately from reimbursements received for 2009 medical expenses. This will require some work on your part to figure the net reimbursement since TurboTax does not do this automatically.
Reporting 2008 medical expense reimbursement:
- Click on the Federal Taxes tab, then Wages & Income, then Explore on My Own.
- Locate Less Common Income, then click Edit or Update for Miscellaneous Income.
- Next, check the box for Reimbursed Deductions then Continue.
- On the following screen check the box for Medical Expenses then Continue to enter this information.
Reporting 2009 medical expense reimbursement:
- Click on Federal Taxes, Deductions & Credits, then Explore on My Own.
- Locate the Medical section, the click Edit or Update for Medical Expenses. At the end of this section, 2009 reimbursements are covered.