Error 5: "An error was encountered while printing (or saving) your return ..."
This error occurs when attempting to save or print a tax return. Here's a sample message:
An error was encountered while printing your return. This situation hasn't affected the data on your tax return.
Error 5 is a generic error message with a multitude of different causes.
Because there is no one single cause for this error, try the following until the issue is resolved.
- In some cases, disabling virus-detection software resolves the problem.
- You can also try using the Save As (instead of Save) command on the TurboTax File menu to make a copy of the file, and then use the copy as your working tax file.
- Something else that might work is running through the Final Review (located under the Wrap-Up tab) and making any corrections in your tax return.
- Uninstall TurboTax, restart your computer, reinstall TurboTax, and then update.
- These errors may also be caused by incomplete or unneeded forms in your tax return. Try removing them.
If the error persists despite following the instructions above, please contact us.