Error 0370: "For a dependent to be eligible for the Child Tax Credit ..." When Checking E-filing Sta
This message occurs when checking the status of an e-filed return. Here's the complete message:
Error Code 0370: For a dependent to be eligible for the Child Tax Credit (Form 1040-Line 49)(Form 1040A-Line 33), their relationship must equal either 'SON', 'DAUGHTER', 'ADOPTED CHILD', 'GRANDCHILD', 'SISTER', 'BROTHER', 'NIECE', 'NEPHEW', 'FOSTERCHILD', or 'CHILD' and the dependent's age must be under 17.
How to resolve this error
You need to verify your dependents' date of birth and relationship in TurboTax and verify that you are eligible for a child tax credit. Here's how:
- Open your return in TurboTax Desktop or log in to TurboTax Online.
- Select the Personal Info tab, and then select Dependents.
- Select the first dependent in the list, and then select Edit.
- Verify your dependents' date of birth and relationship.
- Check the Date of Birth and Relationship fields to be sure the entries are correct.
- If it is correct, select the Back button and repeat Steps 3 and 4 for each of your other dependents.
- If it is incorrect, update it, save your return, and then re-file. You will not be charged again to re-file the same return electronically.
- Verify that you are eligible for a Child Tax Credit. (See Eligibility for Child Tax Credit.) Common reasons for not qualifying include:
- Your child turned age 17 during 2010.
- Your child cannot be claimed as your dependent.
- Your income is too high.
- If your dependent information in TurboTax is entered correctly and you are eligible for the child tax credit, then call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 and verify the information that they have on file for each of your dependents.
- If the SSA has incorrect information, then submit a request to have the information changed. This process generally takes 4 to 6 weeks. If you can't wait to re-file electronically, then you need to print and mail your return.