Transfer last year's return to TurboTax Online 2012
Save time and effort by transferring last year's tax return info to this year's tax return. If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your verification info so you won't have to re-enter your PIN or AGI.
- You can only transfer information from the prior tax year. You can't skip years.
- You can only transfer information from one tax return. Information from additional returns must be entered manually.
- It is not possible to transfer from a PDF file. More info
- It is not possible to transfer to–or from–TurboTax Freedom Edition.
- Tax files created in TurboTax CD/Download software cannot be transferred to TurboTax Online Federal Free Edition.
Transfer your 2011 Online return to 2012
To transfer, all you need to do is sign in to TurboTax Online 2012 using the same login you used on last year's TurboTax Online 2011 return. TurboTax will do the rest! Forgot your login?
Why did only some items transfer over?
Most likely, you did not pay for (or register) last year's Online return.
Is there a way to NOT transfer last year's data?
Yes. If you signed in using last year's login and you want to remove the info that automatically transferred over, you can do one of two things:
- Click Home and then click the lower-most link on the Welcome Back screen (Clear your 2012 return and start over); or
- Create a completely new login for TurboTax Online 2012.
I don't see the "Clear your 2012 return and re-transfer your data" option
If you've just cleared your 2012 return and started over, you'll need to sign out and then sign back in for this option to appear.
Transfer your 2011 CD/Download software return
Tax files created in TurboTax CD/Download software can be transferred to TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business versions. (They cannot be transferred to Federal Free Edition.)
- Sign in to TurboTax Online, or click the Create an Account or Try It First buttons at www.turbotax.com.
- Once you're in, make sure you're on the Welcome screen by clicking Home.
- Click the first link Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
- On the Transfer Last Year's TurboTax Return screen, click Browse, and then select your 2011 tax data file. (Find last year's Windows or Mac tax file)
- Click Transfer Return.
- Once you see the message Transfer Complete, click Continue to start working on your 2012 return.
Don't see the link in Step 3?
- You may have already entered information in your 2012 TurboTax Online return; or
- You may have already transferred 2011 Online data by signing in with last year's 2011 TurboTax Online login.
Either way, you can click Home and select the Clear your 2012 return and re-transfer your data link near the bottom of the page. Then, pick up at Step 3.