Form 2106 or 2106-EZ: Employee Business Expenses
What is form 2106?
If you can itemize your deductions, and you have unreimbursed employee expenses for travel, meals, entertainment, transportation (including use of your own car), or any other work-related expenses, then you may need to submit Form 2106 with your tax return.
These deductions are considered miscellaneous expenses that are only deductible to the extent the total expenses exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI). If you can’t claim these expenses because of the AGI limitation, then Form 2106 isn’t necessary.
Whether you use Form 2106 or 2106-EZ depends on whether you received any reimbursements from your employer for the expenses you’re claiming, and whether you are claiming actual expenses for the use of your car. You can use Form 2106-EZ if you did not receive any reimbursements from your employer, and if you are using the standard mileage rate for the use of your car.
Entering Form 2106 or 2106-EZ into TurboTax
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you questions about your business expenses, figure out how much you can deduct, and fill in all the right forms for you.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these directions.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Deductions & Credits subtab.
- Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Job-Related Expenses category.
- Follow the prompts.
For more, in-depth information about deducting employee expenses, see this article.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered on your 2106 or 2106-EZ, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 2106 or 2106-EZ, please click here.