Purchase Additional State Tax Programs
You'll probably need to file multiple state tax returns if during the tax year you:
- Lived in one state and worked in another
- Made money (including rental property income) in another state
- Moved to a different state
Select your TurboTax product below to learn how to purchase additional state programs. Which one am I using?
Purchase additional states in TurboTax Online
TurboTax Online let you prepare up to five states per federal return.
- Sign in to TurboTax Online.
- Click the State Taxes tab, select a state, and then click Prepare the Selected Return. If you're purchasing an additional state, click Choose Another State, and then select the state.
- TurboTax Online prompts you for payment when you print or e-file the state return.
Purchase additional states in TurboTax CD/Download software
Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business versions of TurboTax desktop software include one state. If you need to purchase additional states, or if you're using the Basic version (which doesn't include a state program), follow these directions.
- Start TurboTax.
- Open your tax return and select the State Taxes tab.
- Click TurboTax State Download in the upper left corner, or choose Download State from the Online menu.
- Save your return if prompted to do so.
- Select the state you wish to purchase, then click Continue at the bottom of your screen.
- Follow the onscreen directions to purchase, download, and install the selected state return.
Consider using TurboTax Online for up to 5 e-filed state tax returns.