How do I start a second return in TurboTax?
You finished your return in TurboTax, and now you're wondering how to begin preparing another tax return for a family member.
It's easy! Simply click your version below for instructions. Which version am I using?
If you are looking to start your return over using the Online version, click here for instructions.
Never file a second return under the login you used to file your own return. Doing this overwrites (replaces) your original tax return data and will cause future problems when retrieving or transferring your tax return.
Instead, create a new User ID/Password combination for the second return. Here's how:
- Sign out of TurboTax Online if you're still signed in under your login.
- Go to turbotax.com and look for the Start for Free button or the Sign up link.
- If you can't find either one, you can also click here.
- On the Let's Set Up Your Account screen, enter a new User ID/Password combination for the second return, along with the other requested info.
- After signing up, proceed with the second return.
But my login is already paid for. Won't I get charged for a new login?
Fee determination is tied to the primary taxpayer's Social Security number, not the login. Reusing the same TurboTax Online login for multiple returns won't prevent additional charges; it'll only create future headaches and lost tax returns.
It might be more economical to switch to the CD/Download Desktop software if you're planning to prepare returns for family members. Here are some resources that can help you decide:
TurboTax CD/Download Software
Here's how to create another return in the TurboTax CD/Download software:
- Open your TurboTax program.
- From the File menu in the upper left corner, choose New Tax Return.
- If you already have a return open, you'll be prompted to save it.
- Proceed with the new return.
If you are wanting to start over on your own return, simply follow the same steps. Until you file your return, it has not been finalized, so starting a new return poses no problems.