Forms CSA and CSF 1099-R, Civil Service and Federal Employees Retirement System
Form CSA 1099-R and CSF 1099-R are variations of the more commonly seen Form 1099-R. Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) benefits are generally reported as follows:
- CSA-1099-R Statement of Annuity Paid (for Civil Service retirees)
- CSF-1099-R Statement of Survivor Annuity Paid (for survivors of Civil Service employees)
For a complete discussion of U.S. Civil Service Retirement benefits, see IRS Publication 721.
Entering Forms CSA-1099-R or CSF-1099-R into TurboTax
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you questions about your retirement distributions, figure out the correct taxable amounts from those distributions, if any, and fill in all the right forms for you.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Wages & Income subtab (select Explore on My Own if necessary).
- Scroll down the Wages & Income screen until you see the Retirement Plans and Social Security group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals category.
- Follow the prompts.
The interview asks about periodic payments. These are funds you receive on a regular intervals over a predetermined period of time, such as 15 years, or maybe for life. Check your plan for how to answer these questions.
Depending on the dates and rules of your pension, a portion of your payments may be excluded from your income using one of two methods, either the General Rule or the Simplified Method. For information about excluding part of your federal pension payments, see IRS Topic 411 – Pensions, the General Rule and the Simplified Method.
If you have yet to receive your CSA-1099-R or CSF-1099-R, please click here to explore your options.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered from your CSA 1099-R or CSF 1099-R, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form CSA 1099-R or CSF 1099-R, please click here.