How do I get my state e-file rebate in the TurboTax Basic software?
You can get a rebate for your state e-filing fee if you use TurboTax Basic CD/Download software to e-file your 2012 state tax return and your state participates in the Free File Alliance (FFA).This offer is not available in TurboTax Deluxe or higher versions, for states not participating in the FFA, nor for TurboTax Online.
Which states participate in the FFA?
For tax year 2012, we have 23 states participating in the FFA. If you e-filed a return for one of these states using TurboTax Basic CD/Download software, you are eligible for the rebate:
- District of Columbia
- Indiana (joined in tax year 2012)
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
States not participating in the FFA (and therefore not eligible for the rebate): Alabama (withdrew in tax year 2012), California, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin.
How to claim your rebate
First, you'll need to e-file your state return. After you've e-filed, you'll need two items:
- A printout of the rebate claim form.
- The State E-file Proof of Purchase form, which prints out with your paperwork after you e-file your state taxes.
You can also print the proof of purchase after e-filing by doing this:
- Select the Print & File tab, then Print/Save for Your Records.
- The Print and Save Center appears. Click the Print Returns button.
- A print menu appears. From the menu, select “State e-file Proof of Purchase."
- Select Print.
Track your rebate
After you've mailed in your rebate request, please allow 4–6 weeks to receive your rebate. Click here to track its status.