Print a Copy of Your Tax Return for Your Records
After you've filed your return, whether electronically or by paper, it's a very good idea to also print a copy for your records.
Note: Are you looking for a past-year PDF return that was prepared in TurboTax Online? Click here instead.
You'll need this copy if you ever need to amend your return or apply for a loan. It also comes in handy when preparing next year's return. Last but not least, it's much cheaper than the $57 fee the IRS charges for a replacement copy.
When you print a return for your records, we include everything that was sent to the government, plus extra documentation and calculation worksheets. However, we don't print out copies of your original W-2 or 1099 forms; contact your employer or 1099 issuer if you need those.
Select your version below for complete instructions. If you are unsure if you are using the Online or CD/Download version, please click here and we'll help you find out.
Make sure the free Adobe Reader software is installed on your computer before proceeding with the instructions below. Get Adobe Reader
- Click here to sign in to your TurboTax Online account.
- Click Print Center near the top of Welcome Back screen.
Not seeing it? You won't find it on this screen. Make sure you're looking in TurboTax Online, which should be running in a separate window or tab.
- In the TurboTax Print Center, select the desired option and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your return will open in Adobe Reader; click the appropriate icon to save or print your return. Adobe Printing Tips
- Don't see these icons? Right-click the toolbar and then select the option you want (save or print).
- Trouble viewing your tax documents? Read about issues with loading in Adobe Reader.
TurboTax CD/Download Software
Otherwise, you'll need the same tax-year version of TurboTax software to open your tax return file. Lost your TurboTax program?
- Start TurboTax, and then open your tax return.
- Click the Print & File tab (Windows) or File tab (Mac).
- Underneath the row of tabs, click Print/Save for Your Records.
- On the Print and Save Center (Windows) or Print and Archive Center (Mac) screen, click the Print Returns button.
- (Optional) Make any adjustments in the Print pop-up window (printer selection, forms, etc.) and click the Preview button.
- Click the Print button.
After printing, you'll be back on the Print and Save Center screen. Here you can click the Save Returns button to save a PDF copy that you can open even if you no longer have the TurboTax software.
TurboTax for Mobile Apps
For help with printing from TurboTax mobile apps:
How long do I need to keep all this stuff?
Generally speaking, the IRS has three years to examine your federal tax return, so you should keep your federal tax records along with all supporting documentation (such as receipts) at least that long.
For more specific information, refer to the IRS article How Long Should I Keep Records?
For state returns, check with your specific state. Some states, like California, have longer time limits than the IRS.