Password Protect Your Tax File in TurboTax CD/Download Software
You can set a password in your TurboTax CD/Download software to protect your tax data file. (Click here if you have questions regarding your TurboTax Online password.)
Setting your password
- Open TurboTax, and then open the tax return file you want to protect.
- Go to the File menu and select Password. (In TurboTax for Mac 2010 or earlier, look in the TurboTax menu.)
- Enter and re-enter your password.
- Select a security question.
- Enter the answer to the security question.
- (Mac – recommended) Clear the checkbox Remember this password (add to keychain).
- Click Add Password.
Removing your password
To remove your password, you'll need to know what it is.
- Open your tax return file and enter your password.
- Go to the File menu and select Password. (In TurboTax for Mac 2010 or earlier, look in the TurboTax menu).
- Delete (clear) all the fields in the password dialog box.
- Click Remove Password.
Why TurboTax for Mac does not ask for your password
After setting a password, some Mac users have noticed that TurboTax doesn't prompt them for their password when opening their tax return file.
This can be due to the Remember this password (add to keychain) checkbox being checked when you first set the password. Selecting this option stores the TurboTax password in the Keychain utility on your Mac.
You can easily enable the password prompt by selecting Password from the File menu or TurboTax menu (2010 or earlier) and then clearing this checkbox in the password dialog box. Doing so will once again prompt you for a password when opening your return.