Article ID: SLN12253
Error 124 occurs when saving your tax return in TurboTax.
- In TurboTax, choose Save As from the File menu.
- Enter a new file name, and then click Save.
- Make some entries or continue through a screen or two, then choose Save from the File menu.
If you were able to save successfully this time, use the new file as your working tax return. However, if the error occurs again, follow these steps:
- Close TurboTax and then open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Windows Start button and choosing Explore.
- Browse to your tax return file.
- Right-click your tax file (YourFileName.tax20XX, where XX represents the 2-digit tax year), and then select Properties.
- Clear the Read-only checkbox, and then select Apply.
- Repeat steps 2-4 on your backup tax return file (YourFileName.tax20XX.bak).
- Restart TurboTax, and then open your tax return.