TurboTax Business E-file and Print & Mail Tax Return Help Center
You can either e-file or mail your federal Corporation (Form 1120), S Corporation (Form 1120-S), or Partnership (Form 1065) tax return for tax years 2009 through 2012. There is no additional charge for e-filing.
Although e-filing is paperless, you'll still need a printer and a scanner to create a PDF version of Form 8453, which you'll need to attach to your e-filed return per IRS requirements. (TurboTax Business will walk you step-by-step through this process when you get ready to e-file.)
Note: Fiduciary (Form 1041) returns and Homeowner's Association (Form 1120-H) returns cannot be e-filed and must be mailed.
Filing Your Business Federal Tax Return
- Open your tax return if it's not already open.
- Click the File tab.
- Continue to the Select Filing Method screen.
- Select File by mail or E-file and then click Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to either print or e-file your return.
If you filed by mail
- The Instructions for Filing printout will tell you where to mail your return.
- Leave the forms in the order in which they were printed.
- Don't forget to sign your return!
- After signing, make sure you make a copy of the return for your records, either by using a copy machine or by clicking the File tab and then choosing Print/Save for Your Records below it.
If you e-filed
- Shortly after transmitting your return, you'll get a confirmation e-mail from the Intuit Electronic Filing Center.
- If your return did not transmit, try again. Also see Resolve E-filing Transmission Issues.
- Within 24-48 hours after transmission, you should get a second e-mail confirming acceptance or rejection of your e-filed return.
- You can also check your return's status by opening it, clicking the Print & File tab, and then clicking Check E-file Status below it.
- If accepted, follow the onscreen instructions to print a copy for your records.
- If rejected, follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and then re-transmit your return, or print and mail your return instead.
Filing Your Business State Tax Return
To prepare your Business state return, start by clicking the State Taxes tab and following the onscreen instructions. You'll be prompted to purchase and download your state program(s) online, if you haven't already done so.
Note: TurboTax Business supports many, but not all, business state entities. Click here for the list of states NOT supported.
When you get ready to file your state return, be aware that a growing number of states require that you e-file business returns, whereas other states do not support e-filed business returns. Your TurboTax program will let you know which method(s) are available, or you can click here for the list of "e-fileable" states.
The procedure for filing state returns in TurboTax Business is identical to the federal filing procedure outlined above; simply click the File tab and follow the on-screen instructions.