Move your 2012 Online return to the 2012 TurboTax CD/Download software
Article ID: GEN12160
If you started your return in TurboTax Online 2012 but need to switch to the 2012 TurboTax CD/Download software program, you can easily transfer your return so you don't have to start over again.
- Sign in to TurboTax Online.
- Click Home, and then click the Save your 2012 return to your computer link which is located in the lower left area.
- Save your return to your computer's hard drive, preferably in the My Documents folder (Windows) or your desktop (Mac). The file will be saved with a .tax2012 filename extension.
- Sign out of TurboTax Online.
- Install your TurboTax 2012 CD or download, if you haven't already done so. Windows | Mac
Important: If your Online return includes tax returns for one or more states, you must also install each corresponding state(s) as well. Otherwise, you'll receive errors when you attempt to open your return in the software.
- Once installed, open your TurboTax software program.
- From the File menu (Windows) or TurboTax menu (Mac), select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2012 file in step 3.
- Select the .tax2012 file, and then select Open.
- From the File menu (Windows) or TurboTax menu (Mac), choose Save. You are now ready to continue working on your 2012 return.
- (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your Online data transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.