Ohio: Unable to e-file because of incorrect or missing Box 20 code on W-2
You may not be able to e-file your Ohio individual tax return if the Box 20 code on Form W-2 is incorrect or missing.
To enter the correct Box 20 code:
- Click the Federal Taxes tab (or the Personal tab in the Home & Business version) and proceed to the Your Income Summary screen.
- In the Wages and Salaries section, click the Update button.
- Click the Edit button next to the affected W-2.
- Scroll all the way down to the Boxes 18-20 section and click the Ohio Residents find Box 20 codes here link.
- In the popup window, find the code that corresponds to your city or school district. (Illustration purposes only; your code will probably differ.)
- Enter this code in the 20 – Locality field and click Continue until you reach the W-2 Summary screen.
- If needed, repeat Steps 3-6 for other affected W-2s. When finished correcting your W-2(s), e-file your return.
Will I get into trouble if I enter a code that's different from my W-2?
No. We work with the Ohio Department of Taxation to ensure that the list of Ohio city and school district codes in TurboTax is correct.
If you don't feel comfortable changing the code, you can always print and mail your Ohio return instead.