North Dakota 2011: Railroad Retirement Benefit Distributions
North Dakota taxpayers who received income from a Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution may use various methods to calculate the taxable portion of this income.
Certain customers, who received a Form RRB-1099-R for a Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution and used the simplified method to compute the corresponding tax, may have filed an incorrect North Dakota tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 North Dakota Income Tax Return before February 25, 2012, AND
- You received a Form RRB-1099-R, and had an amount in Box 3 “Employee Contributions” AND
- TurboTax used the “Simplified Method” to calculate the taxable portion of your Railroad Retirement Benefit distribution, AND
- Your amount on Form RRB-1099-R, Line 7 is EQUAL to the railroad retirement benefit amount on your North Dakota Form ND-1, Line 10 (Benefits received from U.S. Railroad Retirement Board)
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your North Dakota tax. You may need to amend your North Dakota tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the North Dakota 2011: Railroad Retirement Benefits.