New York: For Certain Customers Who Converted Pension to Roth IRA, Distribution Taxed Incorrectly
For certain New York customers, who rolled over or converted their pensions to Roth IRAs in 2010, their distributions were not correctly excluded from tax.
The issue was fixed on February 12, 2011.
You are affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2010 New York tax return prior to February 12, 2011 AND
- Your return included a pension distribution (the distribution is NOT from an IRA or Railroad Retirement) AND
- That distribution was rolled over or converted to a Roth IRA AND
- The pension distribution qualified for:
a. The full New York governmental exclusion OR
b. The regular New York pension exclusion of $20,000
If you are affected, you will need to amend your New York tax return.
If you need to contact us, use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the NY Pension Exclusion.
Let us do the work for you. We highly recommend this.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 6 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign and mail the corrected return to the New York Department of Revenue.
Or you can make the corrections yourself. However, the amend process can be complex.
- To do it yourself, please follow these these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy to the New York Department of Revenue.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email from TurboTax.