Preparing a Second (or Third, or Fourth...) State Return
We recommend you prepare your nonresident and/or any part-year resident state tax returns first. This allows TurboTax to take advantage of any credits or deductions your resident state may allow for taxes paid in another state.
The number of state returns you can prepare in TurboTax depends on which product you're using and whether you're planning to e-file your state returns.
- You can prepare and e-file up to five state returns for each federal return you log into.
- If you need to prepare returns in six or more states, consider using TurboTax CD/Download software.
If you decide you need to change from Online to CD/Download software, see Finish Your TurboTax Online Return in the TurboTax CD/Download Software.
TurboTax CD/Download Software
- You can download, prepare, and paper-file as many states as you need.
- You can e-file returns in up to three different states for each federal return.
- If you want to e-file returns for four or five different states associated with the same federal return, consider TurboTax Online.