Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation
What is Form 8379?
Use Form 8379 when the overpayment on your jointly filed tax return was, or is expected to be, applied (offset) to a past-due obligation of your spouse.
By filing Form 8379, you (the injured spouse) may be able to get back your share of the joint refund.
Do not file Form 8379 if you are claiming innocent spouse relief. For more information, see Innocent Spouse Relief.
Entering Form 8379 into TurboTax
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you questions about your tax situation, figure out how what forms you need to file, and fill them out for you.
Follow these directions to jump directly to the entry screen for Form 8379.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Other Tax Situations subtab.
- Scroll down the Other Tax Situations screen until you see the Other Tax Forms Group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Miscellaneous Tax Forms Category.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Report an injured or innocent spouse claim Category.
- Follow the prompts.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered on your 8379, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 8379, please click here.