Form 8332, Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent
If you are the custodial parent, you can use this form to do the following.
- Release a claim to exemption for your child so that the noncustodial parent can claim an exemption for the child.
- Revoke a previous release of claim to exemption for your child.
Entering Form 8332 into TurboTax?
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you questions about your exemptions, figure out how much you can claim, and fill in all the right forms for you.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these directions.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Other Tax Situations subtab.
- Scroll down the Other Tax Situations screen until you see the Other Tax Forms group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Miscellaneous Tax Forms category.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Release or revocation of release of claim of exemption for a child category.
- Follow the prompts.
What if I have two or more dependents that are in this situation?
TurboTax can help you with Form 8332 for any dependent. After you have entered in your first dependent and printed the form, simply click on the Add Another Child button, and we'll walk you through step-by-step.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered on your 8332, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 8332, please click here.