Massachusetts 2011: Out-of-state Purchases
The Massachusetts tax return includes a use tax on out-of state purchases on which no Massachusetts sales tax was paid. Taxpayers have the option of using a “safe-harbor” table based on their income in lieu of the actual amount of use tax to be paid.
Certain Massachusetts taxpayers, who used the “safe harbor” table to pay the out-of-state use tax, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your 2011 Massachusetts tax return before May 18, 2012 AND
- You had any out-of-state purchases of less than $1,000 AND
- You chose to use the “safe harbor” to pay your Massachusetts use tax.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Massachusetts tax. You may need to amend your Massachusetts tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Massachusetts 2011: Out-of-state purchases.