iPad Notice: "There is an update available..." when attempting to e-file
How to update TurboTax for iPad to receive the latest program updates.
If you see the message that you need to update TurboTax for iPad before e-filing, follow these steps to close the app and get the latest program update:
- Tap the iPad's Home Button twice to bring up the running apps bar.
- Scroll left or right to find the TurboTax icon. If you don't see it, switch to another app temporarily then pull up the apps bar again.
- Tap and hold the TurboTax icon until it starts to shake or wiggle. When the app icon begins to wiggle, a red - (minus sign) will appear on the icon's top left.
- On the TurboTax icon, tap the red - (minus sign) to fully close the app. This will terminate the app so it will no longer run in the background.1
- After you close TurboTax for iPad, tap the Home Button once to stop the other icons from wiggling.
- Tap the Home Button again to return to the Home screen.
- Finally, from the Home screen, tap the TurboTax icon to reopen the app. Make sure your Internet connection is working actively so TurboTax for iPad can download and install all program updates.
- Now TurboTax for iPad will automatically update. When you go back to your tax return, you should be able to pick up where you left off.
Important: If you have already started your tax return, do not delete the TurboTax for iPad app. For more info, read Deleting your app will delete your tax data file for help with printing and backing up.
Tip:1 You might want to get in the habit of closing all your inactive (but open) apps, just to save on iPad battery life.