Form 1099-SA, Distributions from Health Savings Account
What is Form 1099-SA?
Form 1099-SA reports a distribution from a tax-advantaged savings account.
You'll get this form if you received distributions from your Health Savings Account (HSA) or your Medicare Advantage Medical Savings Account (MSA). You'll get this form if your HSA/MSA administrator made payments directly to your medical care provider.
Entering Form 1099-SA into TurboTax
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax, we'll make sure to ask you all the right questions about any distributions from your Health Savings Account. We will record all your information on the correct forms, and perform all the calculations for you.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these directions.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Wages & Income subtab.
- Scroll down the Wages & Income screen until you see the Less Common Income group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the 1099-SA, HSA, MSA category.
- Follow the prompts.
What if I received two or more 1099-SAs?
After you have entered in your first 1099-SA, you will be given the option of adding additional forms. Simply click on the Add Another 1099-SA button, and we'll walk you through adding all your 1099-SAs.
If you have yet to receive your 1099-SA, please click here to explore your options.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered from your 1099-SA, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 1099-SA, please click here.