Iowa 2011: Pension/Retirement Income Exclusion-Form Entry
Iowa taxpayers, who are over 55 years of age or disabled, may be eligible to avoid paying Iowa state tax on certain retirement income (including pensions).
Certain customers, who are over 55 years old or disabled and received a 1099-R distribution for pension or other retirement income, may have filed an incorrect Iowa tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your 2011 Iowa tax return before March 1, 2012 AND
- You were disabled OR at least 55 years of age on December 31, 2011 AND
- You received a 1099-R for your retirement income, with no amount in Box 2a, “Taxable Amount” AND
- You did not use the TurboTax interview screens to enter your pension AND
- You manually entered an amount on the Iowa Pension/Retirement Income Exclusion Worksheet, Line 3 OR Line 7 (through the forms mode)
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your Iowa tax. You may need to amend your Iowa tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Iowa 2011: Retirement Exclusion-Form Entry.