Iowa 2011: Filing With Income Under Standard Deduction
Iowa taxpayers may not be subject to Iowa income tax if their income is less than the standard deduction for their filing status.
Certain customers, who had income less than the standard deduction for their filing status, may have filed an incorrect Iowa tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your 2011 Iowa tax return before February 28, 2012 AND
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return AND
- Your filing status and income amount were one of the following:
- Your amount on IA 1040, Line 26 is $9,500 or less if you filed as Single ($24,000 or less if you are age 65 or older on 12/31/2011) OR
- Your amount on IA 1040, Line 26 is $13,500 or less and you used a filing status other than Single ($32,000 or less if you or your spouse is age 65 or older on 12/31/2011)
4. Your amount on Iowa Other Adjustments Statement, Line v (Net operating loss) , in either column is $0
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your Iowa tax. You may need to amend your Iowa tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Iowa 2011: Low Income Filers.