Iowa 2010: Certain Customers Given Incorrect Pension Exclusions
The TurboTax Iowa 2010 product included an incorrect pension exclusion for certain customers with an Iowa filing status of Married Filing Separately Combined and only one spouse qualified for the exclusion.
The product was corrected for this issue on March 26.
How to tell if you are impacted
You are affected only if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2010 Iowa tax return prior to March 26, 2011 AND,
- Your filing status on the return was Married Filing Separately Combined (MFSC) AND,
- Both you and your spouse received Pension and/or IRA distributions (Form 1099-Rs with an amount in box 1) AND,
- Only one of you is age 55 or older or disabled and therefore qualifies for the pension exclusion.
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Iowa tax.
You will need to amend your Iowa tax return.
IMPORTANT: If the State of Iowa has already contacted you, you are not required to send an amended return to the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Just make sure you pay any tax liabilities due.
However, if you would like an amended return for your records, please contact us so we can help you prepare it.
If you need to contact us, use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about: Iowa: Excess Pension Exclusion.
Let us do the work for you. We highly recommend this.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 6 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign and mail the corrected return to the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Or you can make the corrections yourself. However, the amend process can be complex.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy to the Iowa Department of Revenue.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.