How to Enter Information from Form 8939 in TurboTax for 2012
Article ID: GEN84617
If you need to enter an investment sale for an investment you inherited and you received a Form 8939, Disclosure of Property Acquired From the Decedent (and Recipient Statement) from the estate, please follow these instructions:
- For company name -- Enter INH-2011 in front of the company name, like this INH-2011ABCCompany.
- For number of shares sold -- Leave blank (This will allow the required description of INH-2011 and the company name to appear correctly).
- When asked "How you acquired this stock" select purchase (rather than inherited property).
- For date acquired, use the information provided on Form 8939 by the estate.
- For basis information, use information porvided on Form 8939 by the estate.