Error Code 65535: "Unexpected error"
Error 65535: Unexpected error is a generic installation error with multiple causes, which affects 2008 and later versions of TurboTax for Windows. In most cases, following the instructions in the Solutions sections below will resolve this error.
If you continue to receive this error despite following the instructions in the solution, there may be other issues (such as conflicts with your security software or operating system errors) that prevent TurboTax from installing. See Troubleshoot Installing and Running TurboTax for further troubleshooting steps.
Solution for TurboTax 2010 and later
Windows 8: Start with the Windows 7/Vista/XP solutions below. If none of those solutions work, take the following steps:
- Right-click the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager
- If the task manager does not have tabs in it, select More details
- Select the Services tab and make sure the status next to msiserver is not Running
- If the status says Running then it means Windows is currently installing something, such as Windows Updates or another program. Please make sure the other installation finishes and the msiserver status is Stopped before attempting to install TurboTax.
Windows 7 or Windows Vista: Try right-clicking the TurboTax icon and select Run as Administrator.
If that didn't help, or if you're using Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Log on to your computer with Administrator rights.
- Temporarily disable your online backup or security software.
- Install (or update) TurboTax.
- Re-enable the backup or security software you disabled in Step 2.
If the problem persists while attempting to update through TurboTax, download and install a manual update instead.
Solution for TurboTax 2009
Solution for TurboTax 2008
To resolve this error in TurboTax 2008, following the instructions in the Installer Tool article will resolve this error.
In some cases, errors continue to appear after running the Installer Tool. Bear in mind that the tool is designed to address most, but not all, root causes of this issue.
If errors persist after running the Installer Tool, refer to the article Windows Installer and .NET errors to review the solution for the new error you received.