Error 1327 when installing or updating TurboTax
Error 1327: Invalid drive X can occur when updating TurboTax. (X can be any letter.)
Error 1327: The Windows Installer cannot write to the specified drive can occur when installing TurboTax.
Solution (when installing)
Getting an Error 1327 message when installing the program may be related to corrupted "My Pictures" registry keys, which can be caused when the My Pictures folder is pointed to an external or nonexistent drive. Although not a TurboTax issue, it needs to be corrected to install TurboTax.
To resolve, you may follow the steps in Microsoft article ID 327763, which involves modifying the registry. These steps are specifically for Windows XP; to use for Windows 7 or Vista, press the Windows logo key + R, instead of step 1.
Solution (when updating)
Error 1327 when updating can indicate that the drive TurboTax was initially installed on was removed or assigned a different drive letter.
To temporarily work around this issue, you can download a manual update. However, the problem will continue whenever you attempt to update in TurboTax. To resolve it:
- Log into Windows as an administrator.
- Close all open programs.
- Open Control Panel; double-click Administrative Tools and then Computer Management.
- In the Computer Management window, double-click Storage and then Disk Management.
- Right-click the drive TurboTax is installed on and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click the Change button and change the drive letter to match the letter identified in your update error message. Click OK and confirm the change.