TurboTax for Windows fails to open after initializing, or the opening screen is transparent
When you try to launch TurboTax for Windows, the TurboTax screen briefly appears with the word initializing, but the program never opens. No error message is generated.
Or, TurboTax opens but the opening screen is see-through or transparent.
Several unrelated issues can cause this problem:
- Other programs on your computer are conflicting with TurboTax.
- Microsoft .NET version 2.0 (or later) did not install properly on your computer.
- You can't see TurboTax because it's offscreen. However, it does appear in the task bar and in Task Manager.
- TurboTax has detected one or more missing or invalid fonts.
- The Windows Imaging Component is missing or damaged.
- Your video driver is outdated or damaged.
Proceed through each solution below until the problem is resolved.
Close programs and restart in Selective Startup Mode
Follow these steps:
Repair and/or reinstall the .NET Framework
TurboTax may be running offscreen
This can happen with certain resolutions. Start by verifying that TurboTax is running:
- Start Task Manager by simultaneously pressing the keys Control+Shift+Escape.
- In the Windows Task Manager, select Applications.
- If you see TurboTax 2012 in the list, you need to bring it back into view:
- Hold Shift and right-click the TurboTax button in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen.
- Select Move if it's available.
- If you don't see it, select Restore, and then right-click the TurboTax button again and select Move.
- You may have to repeat this several times until Move becomes available.
- Use your arrow keys or move your mouse cursor until TurboTax reappears onscreen.
Missing or invalid fonts
To resolve, follow the steps in the solution for Error 7284.
Missing or damaged Windows Imaging Component
Download and install (or reinstall) the Windows Imaging Component:
- Make sure TurboTax is closed.
- Find out if you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows by following the steps in Microsoft support article 827218.
- Download the correct version of the Windows Imaging Component for your operating system:
- Restart your computer, and then reopen TurboTax.
Outdated or damaged Windows drivers
Updating your drivers will take care of this problem. Click here for instructions.
Run as Administrator
For Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may need to Run as Administrator. To do so, follow these steps:
- You'll first need to locate the program. Click on the Start button in the task bar at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Then, click All Programs (or Programs) and find the TurboTax folder.
- Inside this folder, right-click the TurboTax shortcut and choose the Run as Administrator menu option. (You can also hold control+shift and click to open the program.)